Chapter 106

'*Arcade - Duncan Laurence*'

MONDAY 20.01.2025

Hands in hands, Tom and I walked slowly through the small private park of our house. The green leaves danced with the branches as the sun's rays made their way through the thin white clouds that decorated the sky.

It was a beautiful warm summer day, leaving behind the cold spells and rain. Olivia and Adam were running ahead of us, followed closely by Bobby jumping around. We had beautiful blond children with big blue eyes, the eyes of their father.

I was happier than ever, accompanied by my perfect little family. Everything was back to normal, everything was beautiful. My husband looked at our children with pleasure and pride before turning his gaze on me. Despite the wide smile that graced his face, his eyes were filled with tears.

"Tom? what's going on?" I asked, stopping.

My husband opened his mouth to answer, but instead of words coming out, a disgusting amount of blood ran down his chin. My lover fell to his knees as I quickly did the same to try to straighten him out.

"Mom!" our son Adam shouted with all his might.

As I turned my head to look at him, I noticed with horror that Olivia was gone. Bobby was still running and playing as if nothing had happened, while our daughter was gone. Then I looked back at Tom, whose face was very pale and cold.

"Tom stay with me. It's gonna be okay. I promise. Just stay with me Lovey," I spoke quickly as I felt a weight crush my chest.

What was happening? Where was Olivia? What was wrong with Tom? What was this pain I felt in my lower abdomen? I closed my eyes for a moment to try to catch my breath.

Panicked and anxious, I opened my eyelids slowly, discovering that I was no longer in the park but in a hospital room. Was this a dream? Just a dream? I was still in the hospital but something was different. My pregnant belly was gone.

"Where are our babies? Where are they?" I asked as I realized that Tom was just next to me.

"Hey hey, take it slow Emily," my husband replied, pushing me back against the bed as I tried to get up.

"What is going on Tom?" I asked with tears in my eyes

"You had a placental abruption, they had to do a C-section to remove the babies," he whispered very quietly.

"Are they alive?!" I cried as tears streamed down my face.

"Yes they are alive darling. Just calm down okay? Take a deep breath," he stammered as he looked at me.

"Olivia didn't make it," I realized as I thought back to my dream. "Olivia didn't make it," I repeated, sobbing.

"Olivia is alive Ems. She's alive and so is Adam. Our babies are okay. We're okay," Tom whispered, wrapping his arms around my neck.

I didn't know if I was still shocked from my dream or if I was just not awake yet. I knew my stomach and legs were really hurting, I knew my husband was hugging me tight, I knew that - Tom. Tom was holding me. Tom was there. It was real. It was not a dream. Tom was there and our babies were alive.

"Where are they?" I asked in a panic.

"They're - um – they are in NICU. We have two very small babies but they seem to be very strong. You have our babies Love," he replied with a half-smile.

"We have our babies. We have our babies," I spoke with a soft cry. "Is there a – Are they going to survive?" I continued, looking at my lover.

"I can't – I don't know. It's too soon to tell," he informed me as tears flowed down his eyes.