Chapter 68

'*Broken parts - Clide*'

THURSDAY 13.04.2023

Days had passed and yet, everyone was still talking about the trio Taylor, Tom and myself. I had received many interview requests from several English newspapers and talk shows in order to clarify what had really happened. For the moment, I had not accepted or refused any proposal, hoping that the situation would subside by itself.

Quentin had sent me several small proposals for changes to my second novel that was about to be published. I had been working on it for three days, thinking as little as possible about the scandal that Taylor had created.

"Hi," Tom greeted me as I walked in the front door.

My man had been very busy the last few days with the second play he was putting on with Ava Williams. He'd leave for work early and come home in the early evening, leaving me time to finalize my novel during the rest of the day.

"Hi Lovey. Did you have a good day?" I asked him as I got up from the couch to go give him a hug.

"Not really no," he replied as he opened his arms so I could fit in.

Tom hugged me tightly as he placed his soft lips against mine. He had little dark circles under his beautiful eyes, further refining his already thin face. His clothes smelled like a mixture of his perfume and cigarettes, a smell I had grown accustomed to since the beginning of our relationship.

"What happened?" I worried as I pulled my face away from his.

"One of my students asked me in front of the rest of the class what it was like to fuck a woman twenty years younger," he informed me honestly as his eyes locked with mine.

"Oh God Tom, I'm so sorry," I apologized without really knowing what to say.

"They had been making comments since the article came out, but this was the first time a student had gone after me directly," he explained as he let go of me. "And then they asked me those types of questions for the rest of the day," he added as he took off his shoes.

If there was one thing Tom loved more than anything else in the world, it was his job and his students. Just knowing that our personal life was a problem for him while he was working made me want to cry.

"I am so sorry. I'm um - I'm going to agree to some of his interviews and get to the truth, okay?" I asked him, leaning against the wall.

"Maybe you - Are you -," he stammered, rubbing his eyes. "I want you to deny our relationship," he finally admitted, looking at me.

"What?" I wondered as I approached him.

I knew very well what he had just said, I understood it very well. I knew that this situation was not easy for both of us, but I did not think that he wanted me to deny our relationship. I didn't think he would ask me to deny our love.

"Is that what you want? For me to say that there is nothing going on between the two of us?" I asked for confirmation, crossing my arms under my chest.

"Yes, that's what I want, Ems. It's easier that way," he answered honestly as he walked into the kitchen.

"Tom, I can't do this. We couldn't walk around town together, we couldn't go to restaurants together, we couldn't do anything if I denied our relationship. We live together, it's not like we've been together for two weeks," I said softly.

My man was the most important person in my life, the only person I loved and valued. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops, I wanted the whole world to know. I wanted to be able to live freely with him and not have to hide.