Chapter 30

'*To Build A Home - The cinematic Orchestra*'

FRIDAY 24.12.2021 + SATURDAY 25.12.2021 + SUNDAY 26.12.2021

My family had never been very religious or very fond of religious celebrations. So, since I was very young, we celebrated Christmas on December 24th so that we could go skiing on December 25th, knowing that there would be fewer people on the ski slopes. It was a pretty simple and silly tradition but it was a Visser tradition.

Lying in bed on Friday, December 24, I was on the phone with Tom. I had explained to him what had happened last night with my father and he was reassuring me as best he could while my mind was elsewhere. I didn't really listen to him and only understood the last sentence of his speech.

" .... I'm really sorry it went wrong Love" apologized Tom on the other end of the phone.

"Don't apologize Tom. I expected that reaction. My dad was never happy for me anyway," I informed him with tears in my eyes. "

"Ems, I'm sure your dad really cares about you. He just needs some time to realize what's going on," he sighed.

"I'm not so sure Lovey. He literally told me that I kept on disappointing him day after day," I announced as I rolled over in bed.

"Do you want me to come over?" he asked me in his soft voice that I missed so much.

"No it's all good Tom. But it's nice of you to offer. I'll try to forget about it today and anyway, we're going skiing tomorrow with other people so he won't be allowed to yell at me," I exclaimed thinking.

"You're going skiing where? And with whom?" he asked me to change the subject

"We're going to Adelboden, it's not too far from my house. And we're going with Lea and her family," I replied, biting my lip.

After a moment of silence, I was doing everything in my power to swallow the gallons of tears that had formed in my blue eyes. I knew he knew I was crying but I didn't want him to hear my sobs.

"I have to go Lovey," I reluctantly informed him.

"Okay, you can call me anytime you want okay ? Merry Christmas Love. I love you very much," he said softly.

"Merry Christmas. Love you too," I replied before hanging up.

God, I missed him. I had spent over 30 minutes on the phone with him, but it wasn't enough. I wanted him to be near me, I wanted to smell him, I wanted him to kiss me. If I had been a more selfish person, I would have left Switzerland and gone to London immediately.

I tenderly caressed Thor and Loki who were fast asleep in my bed. Quickly, I put on a sweater of Tom's that I had discreetly slipped into my suitcase. Holding the door handle in my hand, I took a deep breath before leaving my room.

As I reached the hallway, I was greeted by a familiar sweet smell: my dad was baking Christmas cookies. I was going to pretend nothing happened, pretend that our fight yesterday never happened, that's how we operated.

"Merry Christmas Dad," I greeted him with a hug.

"Merry Christmas Emily," he wished me in return. "You're up late for a Christmas morning," he said with a grin.

"I was on the phone with Tom. He says hi," I said to get him all riled up.

My dad didn't answer and took out the cookies that were baking in the oven. I don't know why I was trying to piss him off, it was probably another defense technique. Tom was the person I was in love with and my father would have to accept that.

Throughout the day, we baked Christmas cookies, ate a delicious Christmas meal and opened our Christmas gifts.

I didn't say Tom's name a second time during that day, just trying to spend some time with my dad. We didn't talk much, but we cried a lot when we thought about my mother. It was our first Christmas without her and it was a very complicated day.