Chapter 69

'*Don't Forget Me - Nathan Wagner*'

FRIDAY 21.04.2023

I had spent the last eight days lying in bed crying my eyes out. As I had asked, Tom had not yet contacted me, but I kept my phone next to me every second of the day, waiting impatiently for his call. I hadn't told anyone about this, not knowing what my man's final decision would be. I hadn't even had the courage to continue editing my novel despite Quentin's calls and messages.

I knew for sure that Tom and I were meant to be but unfortunately, not all soulmates end up with a beautiful love story. I loved him, more than I ever imagined I could love anyone and the thought of losing him terrified me.

If he had asked me to take a break because he wasn't sure of his feelings for me, I would have accepted. But to know that he loved me as much as I loved him and that it was the rest of the world that was keeping us from being happy together broke my heart.

That night, just as I had left the shower to drink my tenth cup of coffee of the day, Tom finally called me. I stood there for a moment, unable to make any movement. It didn't matter if he wanted to stay together or not, I wanted to have this conversation face to face. So I knew that this call was just a formality, but on the other hand, I also knew that Tom had made his decision and that he would soon tell me.

"Yes?" I spoke as I picked up his call.

"Hey um - Would you be able to come over to the house?" he asked me quickly.

"Okay, I'll be there in 20 minutes," I informed him before hanging up.

Sitting in the back of a cab, I pressed my thumb against the palm of my second hand, trying not to lose all my nerve. Our phone call had been extremely short and cold, making me imagine that he was going to tell me that it was over between us.

Standing at the front door of our house, I took a few deep breaths before pressing the doorbell. It's very strange to ring the bell at our own home, as if I were a stranger visiting. Tom, wearing blue jean shorts and a black t-shirt, opened the door for me. I tried to avoid his gaze and concentrated on my two cats who had come to greet me at the front door.

"Come on in" he announced with a weak smile.

When I entered the house, the first thing that shocked me was the smell. The smell of my man, the smell of his perfume and deodorant that I had missed so much. I felt like I was home.

"Do you want something to drink?" he asked as he motioned for me to take a seat on the couch.

"Just a glass of water please," I replied clearly uncomfortable.

Thor and Loki had taken a seat next to me and were lying on their backs, allowing me to caress their little bellies. The familiarity of this feeling and place was very much contrasted by the fear and anxiety I felt.

Tom sat next to me, our bodies separated by our cats. He handed me my glass of water, which I swallowed in a split second. I had never been so apprehensive about a conversation. I could feel my blood starting to boil inside me.

"You look great," he complimented me, a little embarrassed.

"Thank you, so do you," I answered even more embarrassed than he.

"Thanks for coming Ems, I didn't know -" he began, scratching the back of his neck.

"Please let's just - Tell me what you want," I cut him off, sensing that I wasn't going to survive this discussion.

"Alright," he resumed, repositioning himself. "I've been doing a lot of thinking over the last few days and I've missed you terribly. I'm not the same person with you as I am without you. And I know for a fact that I love you more than anything in the world and I will never stop loving you Emily," he informed me as he looked at his hands. "But..."