Chapter 51

'*That's Us - Anson Seabra*'

THURSDAY 28.07.2022

After strolling along, we went to eat at one of my favorite restaurants in my city. The atmosphere was pleasant, the topics of discussion followed one after the other. During more than 2 hours, he made me dream and laugh with pleasure, allowing me to totally forget the day that awaited me tomorrow.

Finally back home, I dragged Tom and his suitcase to my bedroom trying to make as little noise as possible. Dael and Joah had fallen asleep in front of the television, a program about tigers was on.

Thor and Loki were resting peacefully in my bed. Tom went over to them and stroked them in turn as a small smile came over his face. The last time he had been in my room, we were a happy couple.

"Do you mind sleeping with me?" I asked him embarrassed.

"No, it's no problem. I mean, as long as it's okay for you, it's okay for me," he replied with great uncertainty.

Originally, I had planned to offer him to sleep either in my bed or on the couch downstairs. But, since my grandparents were asleep in the living room, the only solution was my bed.

"Okay," I said, trying to hide a smile. "I'm going to go brush my teeth, so you can change quietly," I informed him as I entered the bathroom.

As the bristles of my brush rubbed my teeth, I took a long moment to breathe and think. Yes, I needed him to help me get through this time. But having him there, in front of me, only reignited my already strong feelings for him. I was going to have to start over after he left, I was going to have to start fixing myself.

All the steps I had taken in Canada, all the hours I had spent crying in my bed were only going to happen again. Having to leave him a second time was going to deeply disturb me and it was going to be hard to have to move on again.

I applied a small layer of coconut oil on my face to remove my makeup. I regretted telling him to come, I regretted knowing that he was just on the other side of the door and that he would only be there for a few days.

Returning to the room, Tom was waiting for his turn to brush his teeth. Taking advantage of his absence, I put on my pajamas, took the cats out of my room and crawled under the blanket. Normally, I would sleep in a long shirt and nothing else, but we were no longer together.

Tom, wearing a white t-shirt and black shorts, lay down beside me. A person could have come between us because there was so much space. We were both lying on our sides so that our eyes could connect.

"How do you feel about tomorrow?" he asked me gently.

Throughout the evening, he hadn't asked a single question about my father, his death or his funeral. He probably wanted me to have a moment of respite before I had to bury one of my parents for the second time.

"I don't know. I'm kind of freaking out but I guess I'm okay," I replied, biting the inside of my cheeks.

"You don't have to hide with me Ems. You can be honest," he assured me as he moved slightly closer to me.

"I'm still struggling to realize and live with the fact that my mom is gone. I don't know how I'm going to get through this on my own," I explained seriously, letting tears fall and crash onto my pillow.

I was far too young and weak to go through this again. Even though I didn't have a great relationship with my father, I still loved him with all my heart. We argued a lot but he was always there when I needed him.

"You are not alone, princess. No matter what our relationship is, you can count on me okay?" Tom informed me as he slid his fingertips down my right arm.