Sharing Fries

Scarlett walked into the diner, tucking the locks of red that began to border her face from their displacement, back into her baseball cap. She had taken to greeting Abel with a smile and a nod as she took her usual spot, the waitress being quick to provide her with her usual glass of water filled to the brim with ice.

"Someone was looking for you." Abel said in a leading tone with raised brows as she chewed her gum in a loud open mouth manner, before blowing a bubble which she popped with her own tongue, only to continue her chewing.

Scarlett's shoulders stiffened at her words, as Abel and her never truly spoke, they just had a wordless mutual exchange between one another where she would provide the food and Scarlett would pay. The redheads mouth ran dry, and she produced the smallest gulp as her eyes shifted down each side of the counter, looking for any signs of abnormality. "W-who was that?" She questioned, her voice slightly shaky with light trepidation as she leaned a little further in towards Abel, who was now assessing her manicure and deciding she was in need of a fresh one.

"He wouldn't stop asking about you." She said in a bored tone with an eye roll. "What time you came, what did you eat, what did you do everyday." She said dryly, before she lazily rolled her blue eyes over to Scarlett's wide brown eyes, and shifted her hand with a careless wave in the air. "I told him about a hundred times I didn't know." She said in an annoyed tone as she again rolled her eyes.

"W-who was it? What did he look like?" Scarlett questioned as her anxiety grew, having an intense burning desire to bolt out of the diner right at this moment and run as fast as she could into the night.

"Just see for yourself, he's right over there." Abel said pointing to the back corner of the restaurant before giving the patron she was pointing at, a petty little hand wave with a mock smile.

Scarlett's hands were depressed so tightly against the countertop, that they could have been considered permanent fixtures. A true fear quickly enveloped her, as she slowly turned her head in complete trepidation to take in the view of the person over her shoulder, her brown eyes hidden from view by her dipped head and the subsequent coverage of the lid on the baseball cap. Her gaze being met and returned by an eager young blonde man, who gave her a unsure wave with a awkward yet charming smile. It was Billy Price. She had seen him around and he had always tried to get her attention, and it seemed he was taking a more aggressive approach as she continued to not match his interest.

She could not contain the heavy exhale that released from her lips as she returned her gaze to Abel and shook her head, as the waitress grinned back at her and then provided her grin to Tom, the cook.

"Told you she wouldn't bite, Abel." Tom chuckled, before he returned back to his stove, he had come to the open window that separated the kitchen and the dining room just to watch Scarlett's response. "Cheeseburgers coming right up, Red." He shouted from the back before he emitted a deeper laugh and continued to shake his head.

"I don't think he got the message." Abel said back exclusively to Tom, as she walked down the length of the counter and began to do her busy work in preparation for their eventual closing.

The waitresses words causing Scarlett to once again look over her shoulder, and take in view the tall lean man who had risen from his booth seat and began to walk towards her, his friends watching in interest as he made clear his direction of pursuit. He was quick to approach her, and deposit himself right next to her, his smile becoming more handsome by the second as he was exuding confidence. "Hi, I'm Billy." He said smoothly, as he dropped his elbows on top of the counter and leaned into it with his head turned to hers, his light green eyes energetic and vibrant as he looked into her soft brown ones.

"She's not interested, Billy!" Tom shouted from the back of the kitchen with another laugh.

"Oh, will you mind your business, Tom!" Billy snipped back quickly with a scowl and a tense jaw before he redirected his eyes to hers. "Like I said, I'm Billy. What's your name?" He questioned, smoothly transitioning back to solely focusing on her.