Cold

Samuel eventually called it a day around 4pm. He was deeply contented in what he had accomplished and was feeling confident that one more solid day of work, would leave him without a worry when the two of them would take off to the cottage. His steps carried him quickly back to his room, as he found himself slightly eager to see Scarlett again. He had grown used to her always being in his company, and the absence of her, made his heart grow fonder.

His confidence had also resurfaced, as he knew his want to see her, was just that. He just wanted to see her. It wasn't an animalistic out of control response to her pull, it was his normal want for her love and affection, which had been his main motivation from the very beginning. It was going to be nice to be able to share a meal with her and Caleb and be at peace. He was looking forward to their shared time together... their family time, so to speak.

When he unlocked the door, and made his entrance, he found her pacing the room in obvious anxiety. He had been able to push her thoughts away, as the day went on, but as soon as he walked in, he was flooded with them and their accompanying emotions. He quickly determined that Rose had little benefit to her, and further communication with her would be an impossibility moving forward, seeing as how the blonde had so deeply affected his mate.

He turned his back momentarily to shut the door, feeling her honey toned eyes lock onto his frame as he clicked the lock shut behind him. An irritation brewing in his chest, as he knew he should not have agreed to swapping her acquaintance out for Lisa. Literally, anyone would have been better than Rose. Samuel did not do well with soft emotions, and because his mate was obviously still upset and distressed, he instantly became annoyed with the entire situation.

"What is it, Scarlett?" He questioned, as if he was unaware of what was bothering her.

"It's my friend." She said quietly, as she drew the tip of her thumb into her mouth and began to chew on its fingernail. "I'm worried about something she said." Her brows were furrowed, as her eyes flickered off to the side as she became once again immersed in her thoughts.

"I'm sure she's fine." Samuel said dismissively, as he began to strip his shirt, already bored with the topic at hand.

"You don't understand. She was really upset." Her eyes flickered back over to him as he was removing his belt.

"Stop chewing your nail." Was all he responded with,  as he threw his belt onto the bed and began to kick off his boots.

"Are you listening to me?" She questioned as she dropped her hand from her mouth and looked at him in almost disbelief as he seemed to be ignoring the concern she was trying to relay to him.

"I said, I'm sure she's fine." His tone came out a bit more firm with a bit of sharpness, as he carried his boots to the closet and deposited them in their place holder.

"I don't think she is." She said back in her own firm tone.

"Well, you would be incorrect." He stated stiffly as he came out of the closet. "Make me a drink, Scarlett." He nodded towards the liquor cabinet, wanting to distract her from her pressing of the topic and move on.

"She is my friend." She said unmoving, an anger bubbling in her chest at how little care he was showing for her upset.

His tall frame paused its movements, his hips cocking slightly forward as he folded his arms across his chest and his blue eyes stared waiting for her to get to the point she was trying to make. Instead of his usual expressionless face, his features carried the look of someone who had better things to do with his time than to be dealing with such trivial matters. His demeanor only further incited her brewing agitation with him.