9:37pm

For a long while, the only sound in the cottage was the crackling of the logs, as they slowly became consumed with the ever present flames within the stone fireplace. Samuel laid there in the silence, unmoving with closed eyes and in perfect content as she sat next to his side and watched him in quiet curiosity. He seemed to be a peace, as if he was in his element in the stillness of the room.

Scarlett did not understand him, and she felt something tugging at her from deep within to draw  him back into conversation, as the absence of noise seemed to have the opposite effect on her. The quiet bothered her even more so now, due to the fact that he had recently just been so open with her. He actually had a conversation with her, where he spoke more than she did and when he spoke, she was at her leisure. He wasnt instructing her, and he wasnt reprimanding her, but he had actually talked to her.

Much like how he craved her physical affection and gentle words of affirmation, Scarlett had a burning desire to get him to speak with her. He had given her a taste of it, and now that she had experienced it, she wanted more. She wanted to know him better, she wanted to know what he liked and disliked. She wanted to know things like what his favorite dessert was or his favorite time of the day and whether he preferred sunrises or sunsets.

He wasn't big on talking and his facial expressions were practically unreadable, unless she truly provoked an excited emotion from him. He was a mystery, and even more so now, she wanted to crack the code. There was only one thing she truly knew he liked, and that was when she was in close proximity to him. He loved skin to skin contact, it was what he constantly sought to garner from her. From delicate kisses to gripping biting touches, he was extremely fond of it all.

Hence, in pursuit of gaining further insight on him through his own spoken words, she employed her touch, in order to try to invoke his speech. Her body slid next to his ever so slowly, tucking herself tightly against his side, and allowing a thigh to drape over his hips with her calf moving to hang in between his own legs. Delicately her fingernails began to scratch at the furthest side of his chest, as her cheek occupied the side closest to her, she effectively enveloping him in a light hold, much like a koala bear would a tree, with half her body.

He could not contain the smirk that formed on his face, as her brown eyes focused intently once again on her swirling finger movements as she thought about how she was going to get him to speak to her. When it was quiet like this, her inner voice was loud, as she was consumed in her own thoughts. When it was quiet like this, his inner voices were quiet, as he exclusively focused on hers. The quiet did manage to bring him peace, but it was a small portion of that peace. Scarlett and her presence are what truly calmed Samuel.

Samuel benefitted from both her and Caleb. He received different types of benefits from each of them, and they both were anchors to him, that helped him ride out the continuous frenzied storm that rattled in his mind. Caleb was his motivation to be the best version of himself he could be. He wanted to be his role model, someone he could look up to and be proud of. When he spoke with Caleb, that was the singular driving force in the depths of his mind, and during his time spent with his son he felt almost normal. His son didn't see him as defective. His son saw him as strong and stout, as if he was unbreakable.

Scarlett on the other hand, was his obsession. When he was with her and they were in healthy waters, he could only think of her. He would focus on her bubbly personality and the softness of her voice. The tantalizing sensations she provided to his flesh with her gentle touches, and how her face lit up in eager excitement without much provocation. She too quieted his mind. However, she was also a double edged sword, much like the eye of the storm, unlike the calm steady tides of Caleb.

She could at one moment, open up his mind to bright blue skies and sunshine met with soothing rippling waves. And in the next moment, cast him off into a sea of turbulence, where he would struggle to keep afloat, running the risk of drowning in the violence of a frothy unforgiving tidal wave. She was both his blessing and his curse. She warmed his body and soul with such contented peace, but also effectively crippled him in the depths of his own mind and brought him such intense misery.