Chapter 9 || Home

??? POV*

I sat in silence for a bit longer, just hoping it would stay quiet. I felt like crying again. It started to get dark, and after trying to ignore the rumble in my stomach I decided to look around for food before I wouldn't be able to see.

I struggled to get up, every part of my body hurt. I was hungry, thirsty, tired and I just couldn't run anymore. I was begging if this house had something.

I looked around for a bit, this place gave me the creeps. It looked like the previous owners just got up and left, out of nowhere. All the furniture seemed to still be there.

I got to the kitchen and started to look for some food. And thank god there was. I opened one of the cabinets and found some old cans of food. It should be safe to eat right...

I looked around for more, but everything else was expired. So I took one of the cans and sat back down on the floor. I opened the can and started eating, it didn't taste great, but at least it might help me get some strength back...

- - - -
Isaac POV*

"I mean, I do" Lukas answered as he walked down to the hill and towards his house. "But it looks, abandoned." She said as she followed. He stayed quiet for a bit as we got closer. "Yeah.. well I guess I do t have much time to keep up with it." He forced a laugh.

"What do you mean, Don't you have parents to help you with that kind of stuff," Ava questioned. "Well yeah, I do..." he said softly. "But they're usually not here." He turned around and opened the door. for a second it looked like he did t unlock it. But I'm sure it's the angle that Made it look like that.

"Come in, I'll get you your rope," he said as he walked further into the corridor. We followed hesitantly. The inside looked even more abandoned. Don't get me wrong. It looked like people had been living here, it just didn't look like, a lot did.

We walked to the living room, which was mostly empty except for a couch, a table, and some other furniture like lamps and plants, plants that looked in pretty decent shape.

Lukas disappeared behind another door to get the rope he promised Ava. We stayed in the living room. Aca shifted awkwardly as she brought her arm around her chest.

"Are you still not getting any weird vibes?" she asked me. I let out a sigh. At this point, I was starting to want to agree with her. This house did indeed give off some weird vibes. "I-" I was about to answer when Lukas reappeared from the other room. Proudly holding up a rope.

"Told you I had one." He walked up to Ava. She forced a smile as she traded her old, broken rope with Lukas's new one. He put the broken rope on a table next to him letting out a sigh before recollecting himself.

"So this is really where you live.." Ava started. He looked sad for a second before putting up a smile. "Yup, have been for quite a while." He walked over to the other side of the room and sat down on the couch.

"I know it looks kind of... well you know. But it works fine," he smiled. Ava nodded as she looked around more.

"So uhm... I'm curious. Where are your parents now?" She asked I looked between the two of them, feeling a little awkward and uncomfortable from the obvious tension those two had. "They're... working." He answered. "Where?"

"Somewhere at a local farm..." he hesitantly answered. She stayed quiet as she kept looking at him suspiciously. "So when do they get home?" She continued to question. "Late." He said simply.

She continued to question him for a bit until he finally stopped her. "Okay, enough questions. didn't you have more traps or something to set up." she let out a breath. "I could but because you broke off of them there's no time to put up a new one." She crossed her arms.

"Why not it's still light out?" I asked. She looked over at me. "Well I'm supposed to be home by" She got her pocket watch to look at the time, ad soon as she read it her eyes widened "Right now..." She said panicked. "Oh jeez, Isaac we have to go, my mom's gonna kill me." She said hastily.

I looked at her confused. "No, you have to go..." She looked at me in disbelief. "Are you serious, ah forget it... I'm going." She said as she stormed off towards the front door, but stopped right before leaving completely. "See you tomorrow?" She asked quietly. I nodded and she left. Leaving just me and Lukas.

It was quiet for a while as I took a seat next to him on his couch. "I'm sorry about her..." I said. "She just-".

"Doesn't trust me?" He answered for me. "Wha- no that's not-" I tried to defend, he just smirked at me as I struggled. I took a deep breath before trying again.

"Look, Ava and I have been best friends for... well forever. And I'm sure she means well... she just- I don't know..." I gave up, leaning on the couch. "I guess she's just looking out for me..."

Lukas leaned back as well. I looked over and our eyes met. I froze for a second. "She thinks dangerous?" He asked. "N-no i- she-" I stuttered.

He leaned in a little closer. "Do you think I'm dangerous?" I could feel my face burning up. I tried to look anywhere but his face, but now that it's so close I didn't have much of a choice. I leaned away slightly. "N-no I don't," I said honestly.

He brought his arm up to his face, resting his head on his hand, as he kept staring at me. "Good." He smirked.

I let out an awkward laugh as I shifted positions, trying my best to calm down. Why in the world was my heart beating so fast? What's happening?

Lukas kept looking at me from his position. I looked back awkwardly. I noticed his expression had changed. "Is everything okay?" I asked concerned he nodded. "I'm just really tired." He laughed softly. "If you want me to leave I can-"

"No it's okay, I like the company" he smiled. I could feel my face turn red again as I looked away. It stayed quiet for a bit as I heard dim yawns and shifts on the couch as well. I eventually turned towards him again when I remembered something.

"Hey uh.. can I ask you something..?"