Better Luck Next Time! // Cre...

By Little_Holdup

Sequel to Good Luck!- So I'm finally here. In these white walls. So much for luck. What am I without it? ... More

This is Book 2
Prologue
Ch1
Ch2
Ch3
Ch4
Ch5
Ch6
Ch7
Ch8
Ch9
Ch10
Ch11
Ch12
Ch13
Ch14
Ch15
Ch16
Ch17
Ch18
Ch19
Ch20
Ch21
Ch22
Ch23
Ch24
Ch25
Ch26
Ch27
Ch28
Ch29
Ch30
Ch 31
Ch32
Ch33
Ch34
Ch35
Ch36
Ch37
Ch38
Ch39
Ch40
Ch41
Ch43
Ch 44
Ch45
Ch46
Ch47
Ch48
Ch49
Ch50
Epilogue
A/n
Q and A
Dr. David Morales Journal entries-
Extra #1

Ch42

1.7K 117 102
By Little_Holdup

The plan went as well as I could expect. The burst from the blast rattled the floor, if not through the entirety of the building than enough to draw eager attention from the staff.

The cafeteria glows brightly with the flames and wisps, heat eating away the white finish of the tile floor and painted walls. The smoke quickly becoming to much for Jane and I to bare.

We escaped to the halls as the detectors began to cry, calling the rain from the sprinklers that quickly dampens all within its touch. The power had been cut, drowning the building in darkness only subdued by the hurried red grow of the emergency lights placed conspicuously close to the ceiling.

I slip on the pool of red from Jane's kill, crashing to the soaking tile. Jane, who had spun around at my startled cry, began to back track to pull me off the ground, she tilts her head as her body stiffens at the sound of pattering feet smacking against the wet tiles, approaching from the hall currently separating Jane's and my fallen position.

She second guesses crossing the threshold, worried of inevitable exposure should she be so easily seen.

"Go!" I yell as I pick myself off the ground, kicking off the red stained white traction less slip on's the institution provided, "Find the others, I'll head the other way!"

She seems to frown as she gives me a few quick nod, obviously hesitant, sprinting away with long strides to deter herself from foolishly putting both of us in danger by coming to my aid.

Jane vanishes in time as a group of four guards turn the corner, their eyes finding the two deceased uniforms at my feet. They instinctively reach for the holsters at their belts.

I didn't stay in place long enough to give them a snobbish joke, darting further down the dark corridor with a hand over my forehead to keep the water from stinging my eyes. Panicking staff scramble about, jumping away from my path as to not be in the line of one of their escaped mental patients. Some being shoved out of the way by my pursuers.

Wet paper litters the ground, tearing beneath my feet as my pads slaps the puddles drowning the floor, the blare of the fire alarm rings obnoxiously in my ears, and the red light ominously lines objects and rummaging bodies in a way that does more harm than good for my eyes.

A beautiful mess fit for a horror genre. The perfect ambiance for a mass exodus of serial killers.

The cherry on top. A few scrawny patients muddle around the emptier hallways, their eyes dazed and shifty, they watch me curiously run past, crying out as the guards begin to catch my heels. A few patients stumble away or drop and curl on the ground, while a brave soul opted to full out scream and lunge at the armed men. I didn't look back as the shot rang out, or when the war cry cuts short.

While I do debate using my own firearm, the thought is quickly thrown out. It is not worth the risk.

The hall I am currently maneuvering through takes me to the entrance of Specter Containment, the automated door holds tight, refuting my useless tapping on the keypad. Despite knowing such actions will do nothing to open my way the adrenaline gets the best of me.

I have trapped myself in a dead end, power is currently disconnected, and I have no identification to opening the blockade regardless.

My heart beats rapidly, the opposing silhouettes of my pursuers glowing a hard red as they steadily approach, guns braced at their sides and ready to be used. One such man reaches for his pocket.

My breath hitches as the keypad blinks alive with a subtle green glow, the long high-pitched ping making me jump.

"Access granted, .̴̺̀͝.̵̛͕̈̉͋.̸͈͓͗̾.̸͇̜͋̎.̴̲͈̖̉̎͑.̴̹̫̩̅̎̑.̶̛͔̩̆.̷̢̠̮̖͘͠.̷̧͇͈͕́͝͝.̵̝̳̦̎̈́̎.̶͍̏́.̸̛̳͇̀͌̒.̷̡͖͖̹͑.̷̗͙͚͚̽.̷̢̰̝͂.̶̧͔͂̀̅.̴̧̯̬̘̏́͋̒.̶͓̈́̉͂́.̴̺͒̌̕.̵̏͆̔͑ͅ.̴̨̩͔͔̍̈́͒̕.̷̪̜̎̄.̵̯̯̉̊.̸̤̙̞̂̒͝.̴̫̎̐ͅ.̸̘͍̥͙̏̿͋̚.̸̨̡̣̑̽̃̚.̵̠̒̽͛̚͜ͅ.̵̥͑.̶̨̢̬̥̈́̓̇̕.̵̞̦͗.̸̡͇͎̀̆.̶̜̮͓̋.̵̦͓̬͑.̴̢̡̭̉.̵̡̛̲̗̝̓͆̔.̴̱͋.̶̝̄̓̂͐ͅ.̴̳͙̣̚""

With a few confused blinks a grin crosses my features, "God damn BEN, you're my knight in shining armor."

The gratitude is short, as the harsh sting of the collar sizzles the nerves around my neck. The familiar current of electricity running through my body seized my muscles tight, barely granting my option of throwing myself into the mouth of Spector Containment.

The ominous cold atmosphere lines my arms with goosebumps, the cold metal plated floor feels frozen against my cheek as my body convulses with the electrocution.

I can hear my captors mumbling to one another from above me, a knee embedded firmly between my shoulder blade and my hands pinned above my head. The burning subsides, leaving my body numb and vision blurry with speckles.

So frustrating. I can't think properly for a way to get out of this, mind muddled, my fingers are numb, the ringing in my ears drowns out the reality around me.

My eyes lock with the gaze of gold, with Puppeteers, his eyes glowing sinisterly from behind the tinted glass, flick down to mine, his brow scrunching as he places a hand against the glass barrier, smacking his fist against it with a snarl.

I chuckle, blinking away more of the fog, my subtle jerks earn a tighter bund from my capture, I groan at the man above me for being stingy, my glare shifting from his riot helmet to the speaker looking down at me right behind his head.

"Just one...", a muffled mumble from my lips draws the attention from the guardsmen, two pull me to my feet from my shoulders. I brace my body from their shoving, stalling, I look to the ceiling, "Just one containment, come on."

The speaker squeaks to life, the audio crackly and illegible. I can nearly make out BEN's childish giggle.

"Anything for you babe."

The unpleasant sound of clashing metal assaults my still ringing ears, the glass to The Puppeteer's containment slides open like automated doors, releasing the black shadow of a man who steps out of the threshold with slow and wide strides, his gaze at his feet.

The guard's attention is no longer on the incapacitated patient in their grasp, the ghostly threat before them chosen to be far more dangerous than some measly human.

Rightfully so. The men had not the time to get their guns in the air.

The Puppeteer's slow glance is enough to have my blood freeze. His near black figure drowns in the background as his eyes open wide and a brilliant smile blinds us with its dazzling gold glow. It's mesmerizing to watch the threads that seem to appear from the darkness, swaying through the air as though it is webbing, a fine strand that coils and compresses around the limbs of my assailants. Silent and quick. Undetectable.

The contact of the string wiped them out of there daze, bringing them back to their current predicament at hand. They tugged and pulled on the strings that latch onto their bodies, uselessly discharging their ammunition at the apparition before them, obviously not equipped or skilled enough to handle such a being like a spector, despairing as the shells fail to leave a simple nick on the ghostly body.

I would be scared had I not known Jonathan was on my side, had I not marveled at those before me who's limbs twist about like plastic figures, who's flesh excretes blood like a wrung-out hand cloth. The threads golden glow sinking through the stretched flesh, yet failed to penetrate the solidness of the bone, leaving my four assailants to dangle upright.

Swinging forth like a marionette.

I would be envious had I detest such pain.

I stand myself as it quiets down, dusting my drenched uniform in a futile act of presentation. My vision sways slightly, but not enough to discourage me from marveling at the twisted bodies ascended from the ground.

"Pretty neat don't ya think?"

I scoff, "Might be a bit overkill, but thanks for the help, Jonathan."

He visibly cringes at the use of the name, "you are very welcome, (Y/N) ~"

"Oh fuck off."

"Would you rather I call you Smudgy? BEN had mentioned that is what you prefer. Horrible."

I steady myself on my wobbling legs, walking through the rest of the Containment Center with The Puppeteer matching my pace with ease.

"A friend gave me that name, ok. It was pulled out of his ass because the situation called for it and I suck at coming up with names."

He hums with a steady knowing smile.

I click my tongue, whirling around to face him, "Fine, he is far from my friend, I think he actually hates me."

God, Jonathan has a laugh that makes me want to punch him.

"Sorry for the wait guys", BEN's voice fall through clearer than it previously had, "I had a few more codes to break before having complete access to the Spector Containment system, guessing the line for Pup's cell was dumb luck."

I snort, dumb luck is a good way to put it.

"Thanks for that BEN, nearly called my freedom short."

"As I said, anything for you babe."

"Don't call me that."

"Anyways", BEN continues, "Give me a minute to open all the containment in here, AND as a bonus-"

The collar around my neck beeps, the clasp loosening from its previous tight bind. I spent no time flinging the thing to the floor, stretching my shoulders and rubbing my neck in delight. If having the constraint of the collar removed feels this refreshing, I can't wait for my first taste of fresh air in months.

"It's nice having you around BEN", a genuine complement he did not see coming.

He takes a moment too long to respond, stuttering over his words bashfully "W-well yeah, can't do anything without me, Keep up. I'll jump around to see how everyone's doing, Jeff and Clocky are good on getting people out, shame most are nobodies, said they are headed to Item Containment afterwards. DO NOT forget to pick me up before you leave, I don't want to go through all this just to be left to rot in this shitty ass system they have installed here."

Just before the speaker dies the containment doors spring to life. Shifting apart to allow the residence through, most did not even allow the glass to settle, apparitions of many varieties are sprung free.

The transparent figure of an old gentleman fazes in and out of transparency, he tips his hat to me before his figure brightens and vanishes before my eyes.

A black ball of gas sends a shiver down my spine as it brushes past me, it settles around one of Jonathan's strung up corpses, the restrained body began to convulse and groan, flailing mindlessly.

Many other apparitions bounded from their cages, most vanishing the first chance given to them while others wonder about, looking either lost or dazed. Jonathan had to flick away a few ghostly wisps who approached a little too close to my body, he says they are life seekers, wishing to stand with the living once more. I didn't ask for him to elaborate. I am remember why I am terrified of ghosts.

The last straw was when that grudge looking apparition crawled out of the enclosure on her back, all four limbs working together to lurch this woman forward and up the fucking wall.

"... Let's leave."

"Why, does the wittle ghosty make you nervous? ~", he give me a cocky grin, tilting his head, amused.

I bit my lip at his mockery, cursing him out could do little good. It startles me when his expression falls flat in one swift motion, his slightly startled eyes staring ahead of us at the little girl in pink.

Sally faces the door, she glances over her shoulder as though she can feel our eyes on her. She plays a cute smile, the tips of her dirty toes dragging across the floor as her body draws near.

Her voice is hollow, like an echo in a cave, "Pup, are we out now?"

"Not yet kid, still a bit to go."

She turns her attention to me, looks me up and down, her dull green eyes held a spark of recognition, "You are the one who had BEN."

"I was", I look her over just as intently, shifting back, standing closer to Jonathan subconsciously.

Jonathan notices my unease, he flicked his head at Sally, "Go on kid, get out of here first, (y/n) and I have a few things left to do."

She looks down with a pout, "fine, but don't be long, I haven't had a party in a while, I want everyone to come."

I jump as her head angles at me to fast for my eyes to catch, "You too, you have to be there."

Jonathan and I watch as she walks into the wall, her body being consumed by the solid mass. I won't be able to get use to the concept, or the idea that someone can enter and leave any area with such little effort, unnoticed.

I shake myself loose, pinching my cheeks, "Alright, a little further, we are almost done here."

Jonathan slaps me on the back, passing me over for the door and ushering me along with him. BEN had the foresight to open the path for us, thankfully that includes the horrid sprinkler system, allowing us a more comfortable continuation, but the obnoxious red light remains as the light source.

Screams, laughs, and gunfire can be heard across the building, far enough away to not need to be concerned with, but the little silence between us has an edge I would prefer to get rid of.

I clear my throat, side eyeing Jonathan as he glances down at me, "I was wondering why those two called you Pup, what is that short for?"

He quarks his brow, a short, amused grin playing his lips, "Puppeteer, duh. What did you think it stood for?"

"That's not clever", I groan, dramatically angling my head back, I give him a wink as I throw an arm over his shoulder, "I'll just call you Puppy."

His lips flatten, "Don't try me, I will kill you."

I snicker, pulling him closer, "it's nice to have you back Jonathan, even if we only said maybe three words to each other throughout our high school years."

"It is a shame, things might have ended differently for me had we talked more", he frowns, sighing, "We can catch up once we get out of here, I think I owe you lunch, I know a place in purgatory."

"Helen said something similar, the three of us could have a nice chat once we are out", I caught myself, swallowing the lump forming in my throat, "don't think I can make lunch, I have... other plans."

Hopefully long dead, is what I want to say, but lately the thought makes me ache in the smallest ways.

He pulls me to a stop with a hand on my shoulder, his brows nit, his eyes scan over me intently, as though he can see the turmoil building throughout my body.

He takes a breath, his lips quiver as he tries to form words. He decided not to say anything, releasing the held breath into a sigh and beginning down the hall once more.

It is slightly disappointing.

Slow steps echo from the dark hall before us soft, and barely audible. I shift back and reach for the gun strapped in my waistband, but I falter as Jonathan nudges me with his elbow.

His nose crinkles as the entity slides into the hard light. A cold, sinister breeze radiating from his body.

My body lightens up, untensing at the sight of the familiar blue mask.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like the more I write the more scenes appear that has to be writing. This chapter was meant to have too much more involved but I only get one scene in! Ridicules!

I will try to continue this within the next few days. Good night my friends!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.6K 2.3K 15
An accident during a competition shattered her life in the horse world. Her life is now in a wheelchair. Her only friend on main campus was a shatter...
608K 25.9K 34
Ten days? You have ten days left to live, but in those ten days, you have to act like you're dating him. What type of situation is that? A messed up...
30.1K 631 32
⚠️FUTURE SELF HERE! THIS STORY WAS MADE A YEAR AGO SO IT HAS SPELLING MISTAKES AND CRAP SO IF THERE ARE ERRORS IM VERY SORRY I CANT FIX IT CAUSE IM B...
189K 6.5K 19
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷"ᴵᵗˢ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵐᵃᵗʰ ᵖʳᵒᵇˡᵉᵐ, ʸᵒᵘ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᵈⁱᶠᶠⁱᶜᵘˡᵗ ˢᵒˡᵘᵗⁱᵒⁿˢ ᵗᵒ ˢᵒˡᵛᵉ ᵃ ˢⁱⁿᵍˡᵉ ᵖʳᵒᵇˡᵉᵐ. ᵀʰᵉ ᵒⁿˡʸ ˢᵒˡᵘᵗⁱᵒⁿ ʷᵉ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ⁿᵒʷ ⁱˢ, ᵗᵒ ˢᵘʳᵛⁱᵛᵉ" ╭┈◦•◦❥...