The Maverick(Sword Art Online...

By Storyteller-Maverick

#1 in #swordartonline 10/04/18 Year 2023. The world has been waiting in anticipation for the long awaited Ful... More

Ch.1 The Death Game Aincrad
Ch.2 First Floor Dungeon
Ch.3 Shining Star On A Dark Christmas
Ch.4 The Beast Tamer
Ch.5 Investigation Time
Ch.6 Case Closed
Ch.7 Cotton Candy
Ch.8 An Uplifting Experience
Ch.9 Power Within
Ch.10 Charming Proposal(Not Really)
Ch.11 Welcome To The Family
Ch.12 Lost Data
Ch.13 Game Over
Ch.14 Aftermath Of A Death Game (ALO Arc)
Ch.15 The World Of Fairies
Ch.16 A Fiery Slyph
Ch.17 Journey To The World Tree
Ch.18 The Gank Spank
Ch.19 Saving The Alliance
Ch.20 Complicated Feelings
Ch.21 True Reveal
Ch.22 The Raid on The World Tree
Ch.23 What I Fight For
Ch.24 The World Seed
Ch.25 One Blushing Sylph
Ch.26 New Problems(GGO Arc)
Ch.27 Prep Phase
Ch.28 A World of Guns
Ch.29 Prelim
Ch.30 Prelims Pt.2
Ch.31 Downtime
Ch.32 Bullet of Bullets
Ch.33 Investigation Team
Ch.34 The Getaway
Ch.35 To Be Strong
Ch.36 Showtime
Ch.37 Closing Time
Ch.38 The First Step
Ch.39 Mystery Dungeon(Strea)
Ch.40 Strea's Soul
Ch.41 How To Armor(Bonus)
Ch.42 The Holy Sword (Mother's Rosario Arc)
Ch.43 Jötunheimer
Ch.44 Thryheim
Ch.45 Dáinsleif
Ch.46 Christmas Time
Ch.47 Christmas Time Pt.2
Ch.48 A Challenger Approaches
Ch.49 It's The Showdown
Ch.50 Yuuki & The Sleeping Knights
Ch.51 Boss Prep
Ch.52 Boss Time
Ch.53 Yuuki Konno
Ch.54 One Wish
Ch.55 Brave New World
Valentine's Day Contest
I'm Only Watching You. (Sinon Valentine's Day)
You're My Medicine (Yuuki Valentine's Day)
Ch.56 A New Place (Season 3)
Ch.57 The Fabled Ice Cave
Special: Ordinal Scale
Ch.58 Fade to Black
Ch.59 Underworld
Ch.60 Learning the World
Ch.61 Style
Ch.62 Rath
Ch.63 Alicization
Ch.64 Will Power
Ch.65 Elite Disciple
Ch.66 Nobles
Ch.67 Desensitized
Ch.68 Prisoners
Ch.69 Break
Ch.70 Gear Up
Ch.71 Crimson Arrow
Ch.72 Knightly Duties
Ch.73 Pride as a Knight
Ch.74 Golden
Ch.75 Ceasefire
Ch.76 Alliance
Ch.77 Coded Eye
Ch.78 Friendship
Ch.79 Discussions and Humanity
Ch.80 Azure Wings
Ch.81 Quinella (Season 3 Part 1 Finale)
My True Feelings (Leafa Valentine's Day)
Ch.82 Brief Respite (Season 3 Part 2: War of the Underworld)
Ch.83 Ingition Of War
Ch.84 Before The Storm
Ch.85 Last Day of Peace
Ch.87 Eyes Open
Ch.88 Truth Of The Underworld
Ch.89 The Crimson Battalion
Ch.90 Two Outta One Ain't Bad
Ch. 91 Hot Pursuit
Ch.92 Calvary
Ch.93 Coffin's Arrival
Ch.94 Killer Instinct

Ch.86 This Is War

3K 102 7
By Storyteller-Maverick

A giant beam of light erupted into the sky as the wall disappeared into code. The Final Load Test had begun. The Human Empire was divided into units with the first unit leaders being Fanatio and her Knights alongside the Crimson Bow Knight Deusolbert. In the Second Unit was Integrity Knight Sheyta and Renly on the left flank. In the center was Bercouli and Kirito and in the sky was Alice and Eugeo. At point of contact Deusolbert and Fanatio struck first blood. As they began to decimate the first wave. The second wave watched in anticipation and anxiousness. The two sisters commented on the battle.

Fizel: Looks like it's started.

Linel: Indeed.

Fizel: Looks like Uncle Deusolbert is doing his best.

Linel: Vice Commander looks to be doing good as well.

Fizel: I'm not very confident on our left flank.

Linel: Agreed. Eldrie is a skillful knight but he has minimal real combat experience. Behind him his Renlicchi who isn't very dependable. Looks to be quivering in his boots.

Fizel: Say, the Supply Corps is on the left flank, right?

Linel: Yeah, I heard that Mav was being held over there.

Both sisters looked at each other before they grinned and left into the formation. At the center Kirito stared at the war intently but still had an anxious feeling in his stomach for the safety of his friend. A soldier ran up to him and Bercouli.

Kirito: Report.

Soldier: Lady Fanatio faced the giant chief while Sir Deusolbert faced the flatland goblin chief. Both knights were victorious.

Bercouli: I see....

Soldier: Despite the recent victories, we're still overwhelmingly outnumbered by enemy forces. It'll only be a matter of time before each unit collapses.

Kirito: Any movement on aerial forces?

Soldier: Negative. No movement or any sign of their flying dragons or minions.

Bercouli: Hmm......

In the sky, Alice and Eugeo slowly hovered above the large battle below as blood and corpses littered the ground.

Eugeo: What a bloodbath.....

Alice:*sigh*

The two saw the spiritual energy rising as they both nodded.

Alice: Eugeo, lend me your strength.

Eugeo: Right.

Alice and Eugeo both closed their eyes and they began to absorb the spiritual energy into a giant sphere.

Meanwhile Fizel and Linel were supporting the Supply Corps swiftly cutting down the enemies.

Fizel: The goblins shouldn't be this far back.

Linel: I don't think we can push them all back, where the hell is Renlicchi? He should've been at his post!

Fizel: Probably ran to hide the damn coward!

Linel: Why did I expect anything less....

Within one of the supply tents was Integrity Knight Renly. He was currently curled up in a small area of the supply shelves wallowing in his guilt and self consciousness. He knew that he should be out there with his unit but he felt he'd only be in the way. The words of the Pontifex still haunted him. She called him a failure of a knight before being frozen in cryostasis. Renly's sorrowful thoughts were broken when he heard voices approach the tent.

Tiese: Let's put him in here. Then we just need to guard the entrance.

Ronie: Right.

The two entered the tent and looked around.

Tiese: Let's put him in the back over there.

Renly shuffled making his hiding place rattle. Within an instant, Tiese and Ronie pulled their blades.

Tiese: Who's there?!

Ronie: Show yourself!

Renly sighed and stepped out.

Renly: I'm not the enemy.

The two trainees recognized the familiar armor and immediately sheathed their swords and saluted.

Tiese: Sir Knight!

Renly: At ease. I'm...not a knight. I ran away from my unit. They're probably in disarray by now.....

Ronie: I guess we should introduce ourselves. I'm Primary Trainee Ronie and this Primary Trainee Tiese. Behind us is....

The two split apart showing a stretcher with the unconscious Mav.

Ronie: Elite Disciple Mav.

Renly: Mav? The one who defeated the Pontifex?

Ronie: Sir Knight, I hate to ask but will you please lend us your aid in protecting Mav?

Tiese: While we have some training, we have no combat experience. But we must protect Mav at all cost. This task was entrusted to us by Mav's friends, Lady Alice, Elite Disciple Eugeo, and Kirito.

A sudden commotion was heard outside as Ronie turned around and peeked through the flap of the tent.

Tiese: What'a going on?

Ronie: Looks like some sort of smoke is clouding the area. I don't like it. Hide Mav quick!

Tiese: Right. Sir Knight, give me a hand!

Renly: O-okay!

The two picked the stretcher up as Renly stared at his hiding place.

Renly: Put him here!

The two slid the stretcher into the hiding place as they heard a yell.

Tiese: Ronie!

Tiese shot up and turned to see Ronie crawling backward with a deep cut in her leg. The goblin smiled as he licked the fresh blood on his blade.

Goblin: Now ain't this a haul! Your blood will be sweet nectar for me!

Tiese drew her blade as she charged him.

Tiese: GET AWAY FROM HER!!!

The goblin swung his blade as Tiese got low and sliced the goblin's midsection. The goblin growled in pain before swinging his blade once again as Tiese tried to block it. The sword cracked in her hand as the goblin's blade found purchase on her stomach as Tiese flew into the nearby shelf.

Ronie: TIESE!!!

Goblin: You little bitch! Oh...I'll give you both a nice slow death!

Renly was frozen in place his hands quivering as he felt something warm grip his wrist. He quickly looked and saw Mav gripping his wrist as tightly as he could in this state. Renly felt something within him bellow up within him as he grabbed Mav's hand. Within an instant everything seemed to go white. Renly opened his eyes seeing the empty space.

"Hey, those girls are gonna die and it's gonna be your fault."

A voice echoed behind Renly. While he couldn't move his body, he felt the presence of someone behind him.

Renly: I.....I can't...I'm not strong...

"Odd thing to say for an Integrity Knight."

Renly: What's that supposed to mean?

"Pretty sure knights aren't chosen at random. You had the strength to become a knight. Question is, what drove you to become a knight?"

Renly: What drove me.....

Renly remembered all to well. He had a friend at his school. They were in a duel in the arena but the boy's blade was not properly made. As Renly went for an attack and broke the boy's blade and fatal wounded him. Amist Renly's grief he remembered his friend's dying words that he breathed out with a smile on his face. That was to become a great knight.

Renly: I..remember...

"Better make your resolve fast, no more time for doubts."

As the goblin raised his blade towards Ronie and glint of light quickly flew through the room and the goblin stopped in his tracks. Ronie watched as the goblin's head rolled off his body and onto the floor.

Ronie: S-sir Knight! My friend....

Renly walked over to the destroyed shelve finding Tiese with a deep laceration going across her waist. Renly grabbed her and placed her down next to Ronie.

Renly: Thankfully her blade blocked most of the impact. Ronie, if you have any healing arts, it'll heal her wound same to yours.

Ronie: I know of one. Thank you, sir knight.

Renly: I must clear the rest of our enemies out. I will send additional troops this way. Stay out of sight for now.

Renly dashed out the tent with a sense of clarity for the first time in ages. His resolve burned brightly within him. He stopped seeing a large number of goblins in front of him. He withdrew his blades and took a deep breath.

Renly: No more time for doubts.....

......

Meanwhile Alice and Eugeo continued to observe the battle from above shrinking the large sphere of fallen soldiers as they saw a large number of flying demons coming towards the battle only for them to all be sliced into chunks of meat while in midair from energy waves and seemingly nothing.

Eugeo: Amazing.......

Alice: Yeah....Looks like Kirito and Uncle did their part.

Eugeo glanced at Alice's distant expression.

Eugeo: You seem to have something on your mind.

Alice: This absorption of all these life forces have me wondering. The Human souls and the Dark Forces souls feel the same. Doesn't that mean we are all the same? If that's the case, what're we fighting for?

Eugeo stared at Alice before sighing.

Eugeo: I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that we must do what we must. If I have to kill the Dark Forces to protect those I cherish, then I will do so. Do you feel the same, Alice?

Alice:.....Yeah, you're right. You, Mav, Uncle, I need to protect those I care for.

Eugeo noticed a large forces gathering in the distance.

Eugeo: Eyes up, looks like it's time to do our part.

Alice: Very well. I am ready.

Eugeo placed his hand on Alice's shoulder and boosted her magical output as she released her Perfect Weapon Control forming a large flower like design in the sky with the sphere in the middle.

Alice: Burst Element.

Within seconds, a giant blast of scorching energy flew into the ravine like an explosive laser leaving nothing but destroyed ground that showed magma underneath. Alice began to dip from the fatigue of the attack as Eugeo grabbed and pulled her out from the reins of Amayori.

Eugeo: I'll fly us down. Let's go, Amayori.

Eugeo descended upon the first unit where Fanatio was as cheers from the soldiers could be heard from their arrival. Eugeo helped the wary Alice down.

Fanatio: Eugeo, Lady Alice. You guys gave us this victory today.

Eugeo: Right but let's still be wary. Have the healers use the magical energy still floating around. We need to make sure the enemy has nothing. Let's be on the lookout for any movement of any kind as well. The Dark Knight and Pugilist forces remain untouched.

Fanatio: Already gave the order. I'm going to go and report to the Knight Commander. Can I leave things to you two?

Eugeo and Alice nodded and Fanatio left. Alice walked up to her dragon and patted him.

Alice: Thanks for the help as always Amayori. Go eat your fill and head to bed.

Amayori nodded before flying off.

Eldrie: Mentor.

Alice: Eldrie! Are you hurt?

Eldrie: No, I haven't sustained any major injuries at the moment. I should have perished in battle.

Alice: What are you saying?!

Eldrie: I failed to carry out my duty. Not only was my camp breached by the goblins, their chief was taken down by Sir Renly. How shameful is that? I betrayed your expectations of me.

Eldrie tightened the grip on his weapons gritting his teeth in anger.

Eldrie: I have no right to call myself your disciple!

Eugeo: What were her expectations of you?

Eldrie: What?

Eugeo: Listen Eldrie, I get what you're going through but beating yourself up isn't gonna make things better. If there's anything I learned in combat, I learned that you can predict what happens. You couldn't protect your unit and that is truly unfortunate but let me ask you something....

Eugeo got up in Eldrie's face.

Eugeo: Do you plan on beating yourself up over this? Or will you move past it and succeed her expectations?

Eldrie:......

Eugeo: I'm gonna take a patrol, think on that, Sir Eldrie.

Eugeo left with a brisk pace as Alice gently placed a hand on Eldrie's shoulder before walking past him leaving him alone in his thoughts. As Eugeo patrolled, he noticed one of the demi-humans was still alive Eugeo approached him with his weapon drawn. The beastman was propped up against the ravine's wall half his body burnt, his breathing rapid. His eyes slowly looked up seeing Eugeo.

Beastman: Y-you assisted in unleashing that blast of magic....

Eugeo: I did.

Beastman: It's one of you, the priest of light.

Eugeo: Priest of light?

Beastman: There's still a chance....just have to take you in and....bring you to....Emperor Vecta....

Eugeo: One of us? Who's the other person you're looking for?

Beastman: The one who unleashed the blast....

Eugeo:...I see.

Beastman: Now, I'm gonna.....TAKE YOU IN!!!

The beastman jumped up and towards Eugeo but was stopped in his tracks as a sword pierced through his chest. The beastman's blood gushed from his chest as he tried to tighten a grip on Eugeo. Eugeo pushed the beastman off his blade as he collapsed to the ground Eugeo tilted the beastman's head up towards him as he gripped his sword tightly before swinging with all his might. The beastman's head flew off his body as a crimson river oozed from where the head was. Eugeo watched the body fade away into light as he sheathed his sword and walked back to camp.

......

I sat lazily in my chair as it seemed that the battle has reached an end for the day as the dark mage guild leader approached me.

Gabriel: Status Report.

Ell: W-well.....I report that my strategy has failed.

Gabriel: Casualties?

She twitched in response to my inquiry.

Ell: A t-thousand dark mages sir....

I leaned up in my chair staring at her intently she was in absolute fear of me. Kinda throws me off a little.

Gabriel: What happened?

Ell: The enemy absorbed all the spatial dark power in the vicinity and unleashed it on us. I didn't think they still had a mage of that caliber ever since the death of the pontifex.

Gabriel: Is there no way to replenish said energy?

Ell: Unfortunately not. In order to replenish enough spatial energy, we need ample amounts of rich land and sunlight but both are absent from the battlefield.

Gabriel: Hm, our land doesn't grow trees or grass and nightfall is here. What was the catalyst supposed to be for this large spell?

Ell: The deaths of the demi-humans and enemy soldiers from today's battle would've sufficed....

Ell sunk her head in apology as I stood up and approached her. Her gaze quickly shifted to the ground as I knelt down in front of her.

Gabriel: Raise your head.

Ell quickly raised her head her face close to mine.

Gabriel: I made a declaration to win this war. No war plan goes perfectly executed.

I gave her my hand as she timidly took it as I stood up with her quickly following my lead.

Gabriel: Now, you need lives to power this spell, yes?

Ell: Y-yes...

Gabriel: In a war such as this, sacrifices have to be made. Literally. Ell, would 3,000 lives suffice?

Ell:?!

I gaze towards the pig people. Easily the weakest of the bunch. I saw Ell's scared look turn into a look of pleasure.

Ell: That would be enough, your majesty~

.......

Kirito: Priest of light?

Eugeo: Yeah, he said that he needed to capture me and Alice.

Bercouli: The question is, why does Emperor Vecta want the both of you?

Alice: Your guess is as good as mine.

Kirito thought about it maybe it being outside influence but brushed it off. An idea popped in his head however.

Kirito: Listen, I may have an idea. What if we use Alice and Eugeo as bait?

Eugeo: What?! You can't be serious?!

Alice: I'm listening.

Kirito: If Emperor Vecta only wants you both, if we send a small unit away into the Dark Territory, they'd give chase for sure. Then when they give chase, we have another unit pincer attack them.

Bercouli: I see.....

Kirito thought this would be a good way to also head towards the World's End Altar.

Bercouli: Very well. But you're taking a third of our troops.

Eugeo: But wouldn't that significantly drain the main troop force? The enemy still heavily outnumber us.

Bercouli: Sure but if we don't have large enough unit to draw attention they won't take the bait. Also, I'll be joining the raid unit as well.

Kirito: Sounds good to me. Any objections guys?

Eugeo: It's the best chance we got.

Alice: No objections here.

Kirito: Then it's settled. Let's start preparations at once!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 2.3K 26
during the year of 2022 a new way to play games comes out the Nerve Gear and the first game for it Sword Art Online a new VRMMORPG. There one of the...
173K 3.7K 96
(Y/N) is a normal kid. Originally, he didn't want any part of SAO, but his friend had other plans. Join (Y/N) as he tries to survive the tragedy of S...
1.7K 71 50
Based on the Role Play in Amino! Book 1: The Izuku Saga A few years have passed since Chris Styles' brother sent him a secret copy of SAO. Trying to...
317 0 13
He was just a normal guy who was able to get his hands on a new game console called NERVEGEAR, however with death becoming real, the fight for surviv...