Chapter 18

When Alex said he would be here in ten minutes, my stomach instantly fell to my ass. Why was I so nervous? Why was this such a big deal! Ugh! I put on my peep toe pumps from last night, I was glad black went with everything. The outfit I chose was a Guess off white ruffled flower printed blouse and a tight black pencil skirt. I looked at myself in the mirror, Jess was right. I looked sophisticated and their jaws would definitely be on the floor. My curls bounced as I twirled, making sure I hadn't forgotten any tags. I heard my phone vibrate and I knew it was Alex. I grabbed my black clutch from the bed and shoved my keys in it; grabbing a jacket from my closet. I walked down the stairs, opening the door.

"Where are you going?" I heard my brother Steve call from the living room.

"Alex's for dinner!" I yelled. Steve came through the breezeway, his mouth opened when he saw me.

"Who the hell are you and what have you done with my sister?" He chuckled.

"Shut up Steve! I am already nervous. Tell mom I will be home later since she all of a sudden needs to know." His face grew long, he must've heard us earlier. "What's wrong with you?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm sorry she's so hard on you Aubrey. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop earlier but I can't believe she slapped you. You shouldn't have cursed, you know how she is." He sighed, rubbing his arm.

"Yeah I know but I was just mad at that point and couldn't believe she was making a big deal about nothing. I'll apologize later." I said, pulling him in for a hug. Steve and I weren't as close as we were when we were kids, but we had an understanding of each other.

"Save yourself the pain." He said, pulling away. I laughed, reminding him to tell mom where I was. I walked out the front door, slowly walking down the driveway. I opened the door, hopping up onto the seat.

"Oh my god Aubrey! You look fucking amazing." He said, grabbing my hand; kissing it softly.

"Thanks babe, I was trying to make a good impression on your parents. I mean this is my first time actually meeting them, well formally at least." I said nervously.

"It's going to be fine babe, really they are going to love you." He said encouragingly. I smiled as he pulled into his neighborhood. My stomach finally stopped doing flips as we pulled into his driveway.

"You ready?" He asked, as he put his truck in park. I nodded, stepping down carefully. We walked up the driveway, he opened the door and the warm vanilla and food filled my nostrils again. We walked to the kitchen, Alex grabbed my jacket, hanging it in a closet. His parents and sister were gathered around the island, laughing.

"Hello, We are so happy to have you over for dinner! It is so nice to finally have you for dinner sweetheart." Her voice filled with glee. She was a tall, slim blonde with warm brown eyes. Her warm smile was welcoming and cheery, she hugged me tightly. "Please sit, tell us about yourself!" I blushed, sitting clumsily on the stool, crossing my legs at my ankles.

"Mom, relax you're going to freak her out." Alex muttered.

"No, Alex it's fine." I said reassuringly. "Not much to tell Mrs. Walsh. I am pretty ordinary!" I laughed nervously. She chuckled, sipping her wine slowly.

"Oh honey! You can call me Diane. Any plans for life after high school?" She pried. I looked up at Alex, remembering our conversation from last night.

"Not quite sure what exactly I want to do, but I know I want to do something that involves helping people." I said assertively. She nodded, smiling and tossed a salad in a mixing bowl.

"Well, you still have time right! I know Alex is excited about working with his dad at the firm, aren't you honey." I froze, grabbing his hand under the island, squeezing gently. He pulled away, running his hands through his hair.