Chapter 4

When I walked inside my house, everyone was dead to the world. I just saw my cat, Dirk lying on the hardwood floor. "Hey buddy," I said to him. "How are you?" He meowed and ran his furry black and white body in between my legs, purring loudly. I pet him and picked him up and kissed him on his wet nose. I gently put him down and walked into the kitchen, he followed closely behind. "You're a silly kitty! Do you want a treat?" He meowed and sat, waiting for it. I pulled the treats out of the cupboard and laid them on the floor for him. I heard my phone vibrate in my hoodie pocket. I walked over and grabbed it from my hoodie. It was Alex, I was about to respond to the text when my phone vibrated, Alex was now calling. I rolled my eyes, so impatient.

"Dang, I can't respond first!" I said laughing.

"Is it bad I miss you already?" he said quietly.

"Do you think it's bad?" I said smiling a little, I could tell he was nervous about something.

"Maybe it's not all that big of a deal, just in my head, I guess. I'm glad you came with me today. Did you have fun?" He asked, his voice slightly excited.

"Yes! Thank you again for everything, especially the necklace." I gleamed, rubbing the ruby.

"I wanted you to feel special Aubrey because you're special to me."

"I felt special, you made me feel glamorous today," I said as I rubbed the ruby again.

"Good I am glad you liked it."

"I still think it's too much, I know you spent a lot on it. That's you though trying to get back at your parents." I chuckled, walking up the stairs to my room.

"Oh don't you have jokes today. I bought it with my own money on it and it wasn't even that expensive. Good point though on the parents' thing." He said sarcastically.

"Yeah, everyone needs a thousand-dollar monthly allowance." I shot back, snorting to imitate a pig. Alex's family is one of the original family's to move to this town. They all had money, if you were a Walsh; you were just born into money.

"Oh! Good burn baby! I receive that much money for when my parents go out of town, so I can fend for myself. I can't get a job because I am in sports full time no thanks to father of the year. I don't use all of it and what's leftover I have saved in an account no one in my family knows about. So good one smart ass got it right on the money." He said stiffly.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I was just teasing." I said, feeling bad for giving him a hard time. I know he wouldn't care if he was poor. Money wasn't important to Alex, he had made that very clear from the beginning.

"I get it, my family is rich. It comes with the territory but I'll never be like them." The anger in his voice told stories only Alex knew. I felt for Alex, he was the exact opposite of them. He wasn't snobby or snotty to anyone, he always went out of his way to be a good person; why he's so respected.

"Yes, your family is rich but that doesn't make you a bad person for it. Even if you get everything you want." I chuckled, I heard him chuckle too. Good, I calmed him down.

"You're good at pushing my buttons, Aubrey. That's for damn sure, so good at it." He teased.

"You've seemed on edge this whole conversation, I am sure I didn't help with my snarky comments. What's wrong Alex? You seem down." I asked.

"I am fine." He said shortly.

"That is a lie, what's going on?" I heard him groan, exhaling forcefully.

"My dad chewed me out as soon as I got home, as usual, but I'm fine. Really." I sighed, it always seemed like he could never talk about his home life. I never knew much, just that his parents gave him a hard time about everything and anything. He had so much pressure on him to do well, succeed; I was sure it was taking its toll. I can only imagine what it was like at his house, I knew how my mother was quick to judge and didn't have a filter. She was always overly involved in my life and cared about every little thing I did. After my father left us when I was three, she seemed to find outlets in people and things that had nothing to do with the kids she raised. My brother being a newborn I was sure it was harder on her than she'd ever let on. Carl changed my mother, I was still wondering if it was good or bad.