Chapter 17

I pulled my phone out, texting Jess for help. I was really worried about this dinner.

Aubrey: Hey, did you want to go shopping? I need a new outfit, Alex's family dinner tonight. :/

Jess: YES! Pick you up in 30

I sent a smiley emoji, taking my dress off, throwing it on the ground. I grabbed my towel, I wrapped it around my body and walked to the bathroom. I started the shower, letting the water warm up before I climbed in. I let the water rush over my face, I was beyond nervous. I knew Jess would ease my mind and tell me I was overthinking. I stepped out of the shower, wrapping the towel around my body again. I walked down the hall to my room and rummaged through my closet for some clothes. I grabbed a v-neck hot pink tee and a pair of jeans from my closet. I dried my body off, pulling my jeans up my thighs. I slid in the v-neck shirt, pulling black socks on my feet. I threw on my dirty keds and walked downstairs, grabbing a pear from the fruit bowl. My mother was sitting at the table, working diligently behind her laptop.

"You didn't come home last night." She said, keeping her eyes focused on her screen.

"I stayed the night at Jess's, I didn't think it was a big deal." I lied.

"It is when you don't text me you're not coming home." She peaked up from her laptop, a scowl covered her face.

"Since when did you care what I do?" I sniped.

"Since it's starting to affect your grades and your attitude." I scoffed, she was really full of it.

"My grades are fine, so I don't know where you're getting that from. I've always had an attitude you were just too busy with "Carl" to realize it." She pushed away from the table, standing and fixing her pant suit. My mother was a full time lawyer, she mainly handled the pro bono defense cases for the firm. As of lately has been working defense on a classified high profiled murder case. She wasn't allowed to discuss the case but I knew it was making her uneasy, I could just tell.

"Either you watch your tone or I fix the problem. I got a call from your English teacher and she says your participation in class has greatly declined and you have missed a few class assignments. So either fix the problem or I will certainly fix it for you." I scoffed again, taking a bite from my pear.

"Fix what fucking problem Mom! I do not have to participate in every class period and I only missed two assignments! Fucking crazy I am getting straight A's and yet you still have to get on my case for something stupid, as usual!" I yelled. She slapped me, hard across my face. I grabbed my face, looking at her in disbelief. Did she really just fucking hit me?

"Watch your mouth! I am not going to tolerate your behavior, if it continues, there will be consequences. You will go to New York City with your aunt, period." She said sitting back at the table. I stared at her in horror, I threw the pear on the ground. I turned on my heel, walking briskly out my front door. Take those consequences.

When Jess and I got to the mall, she was still hounding me about what was wrong with me. I quickly shut her out, looking for the Macy's at the west end of the mall.

"Seriously Aubrey, what is going on? You have been quiet as fuck since you got in my car." She asked.

"Nothing, I am fine." I said shortly. I hadn't even told Alex he would've flipped out. I dont know what the fuck my mother's problem was, but I was fucking tired of dealing with her already. The last three years have been difficult and it's because Carl and her job. Carl is rarely home and my mother is always working, it was like a shit show in my house for awhile. My brother and I had to fend for ourselves most of the time. I don't know how my brother Steve deals with it sometimes. Jess didn't seem convinced from my answer, but she didn't ask me again.