Chapter 39

The sun cast through my curtains, as my alarm blared in my ear. It was a little after nine as I rose from my bed. I still needed to shower before we left for the airport. I showered pretty quickly, putting on the last outfit in my closet. I tugged at the hoodie strings, straightening them as I fixed the bottom of the hoodie so it was covering my ass. I heard the doorbell ring and my heart instantly fluttered. I ran down the stairs, opening the door to see Alex standing in the doorway. I swung my arms around his neck, squeezing tightly as he picked me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist, as he pulled me from the doorway.

"I missed you." He whispered in my ear, kissing my earlobe lightly.

"I missed you, I'm so happy that you're here right now." I say, kissing his neck. He set me down, looking down at me, his eyes glimmered in the sun. I grinned at him, he was wearing a black button down and khakis. His shaggy hair flopped loosely on his head, he smirked down at me.

"Can I come in?" He asked. I nodded, pulling his arm so we were in the foyer. My mother instantly frowned, as she walked back into her office.

"I'm sure she's not happy you're here but I don't care. Do you want to go upstairs before I have to leave?" I ask, rubbing his arm softly.

"No, it's okay. I just wanted to make sure I saw you before you left. I don't want to upset your mom. I love you, call me when you land." He said, kissing my forehead lightly. I stood there baffled for a second. Why hadn't he wanted to stay with me?

"Um, okay. Yeah I will. I love you too." I say, moving to my tippy toes to kiss him. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pushing deeper into the kiss, as he ran his hands down my back. We pulled back, staring at each other for a second.

"I love you, I'm going to miss you." He said, rubbing his hands up and down my arms.

"I'm going to miss you too." I say, my voice breaking, as the tears started to build up.

"Don't cry." He said softly, rubbing his thumb under my eye. My lip trembled, as his hand grazed down my cheek.

"I'm sorry, it's just hitting me hard now that I'm actually leaving. I promise, I'll call you as soon as I land at LaGuardia." I said, pulling him in for another hug. I inhaled his earthy scent, squeezing around his torso tightly. He pulled back again, kissing my lips one last time before turning back out the door. I watched him walk to his truck, my heart thumping out of my chest. I tried swallowing, the lump pushed its way back up my throat. I held back the tears that I wanted so desperately to spew from my eyes. He looked at me, as he started his truck, he blew me a kiss. He pulled off, driving down the street. I closed the door, leaning up against it for a second to catch my breath.

The drive to Cape was quiet, my mother sat in the passenger seat and my brother listened to his music on his phone. As we pulled up to the airport, Carl merged into the departure lanes. My heart thumped a little harder, as we pulled up to the drop off. Carl parked behind a black Range Rover, looking in the mirror and smiling softly. I smiled, opening my door, watching Steven get out to help me grab my bags.

"Here, I bought this for you." Steven said, handing me a pair of headphones. I smiled, pulling him in for a tight hug.

"Thank you. I love you, take care of Dirk for me, please." I say, pulling back and looking at him. He nodded, handing me my backpack and closing the trunk. My mother just sat in the car, as I rolled my suitcase up the sidewalk. I turned back to the car to look at her, I gave a brief smile, turning back toward the airport.

"Aubrey!" She yelled, as I turned back around.

"Yeah?" I ask, hoping for a last minute change of heart.