Chapter 10

The next month flew by so fast, with midterms coming quickly to an end. I had aced every midterm, with my calculus midterm being last. As I quickly got ready for school, my phone chimed.

Jess: Are you ready?

Aubrey: Yes, I will be right down. :D

I quickly threw my calculator in my bag, slinging it over my shoulder. I rushed down the stairs grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

"Good luck honey! You got this!" Carl said excitedly. I smiled, thanking him for his encouragement. My mother and I had barely talked since our fight last month, she just smiled telling me to have a good day. I grabbed my keys from the hook, walking outside. Jess was jamming to some reggae, while Emma scrolled on her phone. I chuckled, hopping in quickly.

"Are you ready for your last midterm?" Jess said, her blue eyes peering through her rearview mirror at me.

"Yes, thank god for half days right?" I asked, pulling my math book from my bag, flipping quickly to the midterm review section.

"Fuck yes! Are you guys ready for Smith's party!" Emma shouted. I groaned, he was always throwing some weekend rager. Kyle Smith was a kid on the football and baseball teams. His parties have been known to be legendary, the stories are everlasting.

"Oh come on Aubrey! We need it after these grueling midterms. My AP Biology midterm is about to be brutal. I need a little beer to calm my already nervous nerves." Jess said, turning into the school parking lot.

"First off we shouldn't even be drinking, it's fucking illegal for us to drink." I said bitterly. They both rolled their eyes at me.

"You really are a nerd," Emma shot back. "You need to loosen up a little bit. You know, live a little." She rolled her eyes, stepping out of the Honda. Jess nodded, grabbing her bag from the trunk.

"For real Aubrey, you really need to get out more. You know, experience this life you continue to miss. I get you Alex are all candy and unicorns, but life isn't going to stop going on." She said perceptively.

"Look, you both know I don't drink. I don't need anything messing up my chances for that merit scholarship. I am already competing with over a hundred kids in the state, let alone Marcy Simms." I sighed, pulling my bag over my shoulder. Marcy Simms was the leader of the academic decathlon team, took two AP classes and was on the yearbook committee. My chances of getting this scholarship were really slim, I might be tenth in our class but Marcy was not far behind me. I took a majority of AP classes my freshman year and realized I'd struggle if I continued, so with my average already ahead. I had a slight chance for it and I was going to do anything I could to get it. The girls pulled me from my trance, asking me what I was wearing tonight.

"I don't know, I hadn't really thought about it. I got something I'm sure. I just went shopping last week." Jess and Emma both scoffed.

"I know you are not talking about that granny dress you bought! That will not work at all and if you show up in it, I will slap you!" Emma said brazenly. I scowled, switching my bag to the other shoulder.

"Wow, you guys are supposed to be my best friends!" I sniped back. They both laughed, sitting at a table in the commons. I followed suit, putting my math book down.

"If we weren't hard on you, you'd be sitting over there like him." Emma said, thumbing to a homely sophomore sitting by himself. His hair was matted, with wrinkled mismatched clothes. I scoffed, swatting at her with my notebook.

"You're an asshole!" I said loudly. She giggled, flipping through her geometry textbook.

"Well, aren't you happy we are your friends." She said, pulling her notebook out for a quick study session.