Chapter 26

I pushed past her and her pose, walking carefully down the stairs. I didn't even bother turning around, I didn't want to see her face again. I walked back up to the main house, opening the back door. Jess and Josh were fooling around on the couch as I walked in.

"Fuck! I am so sorry!" I said, running past the living room. I ran up the stairs to the guest bedroom, slamming the door as I stumbled taking the platform heels off. As I pulled one heel off, Jess was knocking on the door.

"Aubrey! I am so sorry!" She said, opening the door. I pulled the other heel off, dropping it on the floor on top of the other.

"No! I am so sorry! I should've knocked, I just had to get out of there." My voice cracking, the tears building again. She quickly sat down, instantly pulling me in.

"Oh my god, what's wrong? What happened?" She said, pulling back, grabbing my hand and squeezing it tightly. I sighed, pushing the tear back, refusing to cry.

"Alex just told me I was embarrassing him and that he makes sacrifices for me but I don't make any for him. Then told me he didn't mean it." I said, my voice squeaking. I wiped the single tear away, standing up quickly; turning toward Jess. "How could he say that to me? When I gave him a second chance and he goes back to acting like this? Acting like he really cares if his friends even know who I am." I blurt out angrily.

"I am sure he didn't mean it Aubrey. You know how quickly he gets angry, how quickly he'll say something he doesn't mean." She said sincerely. She reached for my hand and stroked it.

"I thought we were past all this, he's almost eighteen! He's going to have to grow up eventually and stop saying fucked up shit! He's going to have to realize there are consequences to his fucking actions. Kristen wasn't the only one who decided to take her clothes off!" I yelled, pushing my hair out of my face; frantically. I paced back and forth, my hands shaking with anger. "I love him Jess.." I paused, calming myself a little. "But I don't deserve his bullshit or his fucking excuses. I thought we had come so far, that his anger was in check. We've barely fought since we've gotten back together. It's definitely been different, he's been different." I slunk down the wall, dropping to the floor slowly. I pulled my legs into my chest, my head collapsing in my arms. The tears finally doused my cheeks, Jess sat next to me, rubbing my back softly.

"I know, there's no excuse for what he said to you tonight, but obviously he didn't mean it. Did you ask him why he said that? I also think you may be overthinking just a tad." I sniffled, pulling my head up slowly, scowling slightly at her.

"He said 'I've had a shitty attitude all day'. He said that shit about his friends. It's like I've never even met any of them formally. I didn't even know Kyle Smith had blue eyes until tonight. You're probably right though, I may be overreacting. I just don't want to keep having screaming matches with each other, like sophomore year." I chuckled a little, wiping the tears off my cheeks with the back of my hand. Jess smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Maybe Kyle said something to him and that's why he made a big deal about it. Just talk to him, see what's going on. Obviously, there was a misunderstanding." She said sweetly.

"Since when did you get so mature?" I smiled, nudging her a little.

"You have to be when your parents are only home two weeks out of the month." She said, standing up swiftly. She held her hand out. "Come on, let's hit a restart on this night and have a little fun?" I grabbed her hand, standing up quickly. I fixed the skirt, tugging it down, grabbing the heels off the floor.

"I don't think I'd ever see the day you'd defend Alex." I said, sliding into the heels, buckling them over my ankles. She smirked, fixing her make-up in the mirror over the dresser.