Chapter 37

An hour later, we pulled into the long drive, the gravel and snow crunching under Alex's truck tires. The ranch styled house was beautiful, rustic and the wrap around porch alone that overlooked the river. Simply beautiful. Alex hopped out of the truck, walking over to my door and opening it. He held his hand out as I stepped down on the footboard. He scooped me up, setting me down swiftly.

"Thank you." I say, fixing my dress. We walked up the path to the front door, the music blasted through the walls and windows. The party was already in full swing and it was only eight-thirty. We all still had three and half hours until midnight and I planned on pacing myself. I didn't want to get too drunk and I secretly hoped Alex felt the same way. We walked up the wooden steps, couples lined the deck, red solo cups in their hands. Jason and Steven pushed past us, walking into the house. Everyone screamed "Happy New Years", as they walked in. We followed behind and I saw Emma dancing on Smith, I smiled. Alex led me towards the kitchen, Jess and Josh were sitting on stools.

"Hey girl! Oh my god, you look amazing!" Jess said, standing up to squeeze me tightly. I hugged her back tightly, holding her embrace for a few minutes. I didn't want to make tonight sad, but knowing that after tomorrow it'd be months before I'd see her again. It made my heart flutter in pain and that mound built in the back of my throat. I pulled back, smiling widely at her and pulling her back in again. I squeezed tightly, as she pulled back, her blue eyes scanning my face. I winked, grinning at her wistfully.

"You look beautiful too! I love what you did with your hair!" I say over the loud music. Her hair was pinned up with loose curls hanging on the sides. Her sparkly white dress hugged her creamy skin tightly, as the high white boots covered her knees.

"Have you seen Emma? She looks gorgeous and I hear her and Smith are a thing now." She said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"I heard the same thing." I said, looking for Alex. He was walking back with cups, handing me one and high fiving Josh.

"What did you hear?" He asked, looking down at me.

"Emma and Kyle are dating." Jess said, sipping her drink and raising her eyebrow.

"Oh," He paused, sipping his drink. "Yeah, I mean it was bound to be known. They've been talking since your party Jess. I guess they clicked over a fucking movie and started talking. "She's great man". Is all he ever tells me." He chuckled, pushing his broad shoulders up, winking down at me. He sipped his drink again, smiling at me briefly, before turning back to his conversation with Josh.

"Well I'm happy for her, she deserves something stable. I just don't want to hear about Smith's dick. Not once!" I yell, sipping my drink. Emma and Kyle made their way through the crowd, their hands linked in each other's.

"Hey guys!" Smith said, bro hugging Alex. Emma blushed at us and we smiled at her.

"So, you weren't going to tell us." Jess said, wiggling her eyebrows at Emma. I laughed, shaking my head and finishing my drink.

"I'm happy for you, for real." I say, pulling her in for a hug.

"Me too!" Jess yelled, pulling us in for a big hug. We all giggled, letting go of the other.

"Yeah, it kind of just happened. He's actually really fucking smart." She whispered and we all giggled again.

"Yeah no dick talk though, I'm in agreement with Aubrey." Jess giggled, sipping her champagne.

"Deal!" Emma said, grabbing a bottle off the counter and pouring shots. We all grabbed a shot, toasting to the New Years. I looked up at Alex, smiling widely. This was possibly the happiest moment of the year.