Chapter 34

Alex had left for a few hours after the girls did, so it gave me plenty of time to run errands before we met back up for dinner. I told him I was cooking and to come back at seven. It was a little after one and I decided to go to the Kroger up the street from my house. I turned into the parking lot, putting my car in park. I got out, walking in the store. I grabbed a buggy, pushing it down an aisle. I hunted for the seasonings I need to make my baked chicken, grabbing mashed potatoes, fresh veggies and a loaf of fresh Italian bread. I turned down the snack aisle, noticing Evan standing next to a petite blonde. He turned, catching my gaze, smiling widely.

"Aubrey! Hey!" He said excitedly, walking down the aisle.

"Hey Evan, how are you?" I ask, tucking my hair behind my ear nervously.

"I'm good, we still have to hangout before school starts back up." I smile sheepishly, shifting.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't told you yet, but I got in trouble with my mother. She's sending me to a private school in New York City." I say, gulping down the pain in my throat. His face saddened and he pulled me in for a hug.

"I am so sorry." He said, pulling back to look down at me. The girl just stood in the aisle, staring cluelessly at us.

"It's okay, I've come to terms with my fate. We can keep in touch though, you have my number." I say, stepping back from his grasp.

"Yes! Of course, this is Kate." He said, waving for her to come to him. "My girlfriend."

"Hi, I'm Aubrey." I say awkwardly, shaking her hand.

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you." She said smiling widely.

"Well I hope everything works out for you in New York, think we can get together before you go?" He asked, grinning.

"I want to definitely try, just text me." I say, waving goodbye to him and Kate. Well, that was fucking awkward. I walked to the checkout, putting my things up on the conveyor. The cashier rang everything up pretty swiftly. I paid, gathering my groceries, putting the buggy back in the turnstile. I unlocked my car, throwing the groceries in the back of my hatchback. I started my car, dialing Jess. It rang loudly over the speakerphone, as I waited for her to answer.

"Hey girl! I left it in your garage, have a great time tonight. I'll see you Monday at Smith's party."

"Ah fuck yes! I love you girl, see you Monday!" I said excitedly.

"Love you." She said, before hanging up. I was so excited about this surprise, I couldn't contain myself. I had Jess go and get Alex a mint condition first edition 'Catcher in the Rye' novel, granted it wasn't in amazing condition but it was worth the three hundred dollars. I pulled into my driveway, parking behind my mother's car. I opened the garage door, grabbing the neatly wrapped package, bringing it in the house. I placed it on the kitchen table, going back outside to grab the groceries. I closed the hatch door, as Alex pulled up, parking in the driveway. I rolled my eyes, impatient. He hopped out of his truck slamming the door. Fuck, somethings wrong.

"Alex, what's wrong?" I ask, walking up the drive with the groceries. He walked up next to me, grabbing the groceries from my hands, walking inside without a word. Fuck. "Babe." I said, opening the screen door. He was sitting at the table with his head in his hands. I closed the door, walking over to him, standing on my tippy toes. I wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders. I kissed his neck softly, squeezing and rubbing him.

"I don't know how much more of my dad's shit I can take. He found out about my separate account. He drilled me for the last five hours, asking me how I got twenty thousand dollars in my account." He sighed, pulling me into his lap, kissing my lips forcefully.