Chapter 11

The sky faded from orange to black.  The sky was cloudy. I followed Bayne as far away from the school as possible. He told me to hurry before it got too dark. It got darker and darker out. I anxiously waited to grow claws and rip out of my clothes. I looked up at the dark sky, it didn't happen. I stared at my hands and body. I was still me.

I turned over to Bayne. He was human too. We didn't turn. He rested his back on a tree. His arms were crossed.

"What's going on?" I asked him.

"Look up. What do you see?" He said.

I did as he said.

"Nothing. Just the sky."

"No moon out tonight. No moon, no transformation." He explained.

"What? Why?"

"What? Don't believe me? I don't see you turning into a fuzzy beast."

"No. No one told me that. I guess I'll head back to my dorm then."

"You can't. If that moon comes out at any point tonight, that means trouble for you. And trouble for you means trouble for me. We stay here tonight."

"You want us to sleep outside? In the middle of no where? With no bedding?"

"You've done it before."

"As a wolf! I didn't feel anything. I don't even remember it."

"Fine. I'll invest in a tent. Tomorrow. For now, we sleep outside."

"But it's cold out."

"Are you actually cold right now?" He looked at me in the eyes.

It was late September at night, it should've have been cold. But I wasn't. I wasn't even chilly. He was right.

"Your body. It changes a lot when you turn. If you haven't noticed. It corrects your vision and any illness. It makes you better looking. Faster, stronger, but with a cost. People used to tell me it's a blessing,  but it's not. It's a curse."

"Kind of like Spider-Man?"

He shot me a look.

"I guess. If that's how you want to put it. Believe it or not, we're all not born with devilishly handsome looks." He explained.

He wasn't wrong. Bayne. Romulus. Even Dakota and Sirius were handsome. I had noticed my body had undergone a few physical changes too. I had muscle definition. My vision wasn't blurry anymore, but I continued to keep my glasses close. My facial features were more defined, and my hair was growing out faster in only three days.

"If you hate being a werewolf so much, why are you a guardian? Surely my father could let you off."

"You're ridiculous. You don't understand a thing about how our world works, so don't try to tell me what to try to do. Use your head and think that maybe I already tried. But great. Thanks for the advice."

I didn't know what else I could say. He wasn't explaining anything, just complaining. He didn't seem to be trying to help himself. He had such an attitude I didn't understand.

"If I don't understand, why don't you explain it to me instead of yelling?" I said.

He took a breath.

"Pack secrets. You're not technically apart of it yet."

"Who am I going to tell?" I said.

"Just go to sleep." He snapped, lowering himself to the ground.

"Not a chance. Please. Answer some of my questions."

"Maybe if you stayed for more than a day instead of convincing your dad to let you leave, you'd get your damn questions answered. But no, you had to break the centuries old rules and leave. You got really lucky, Ulrich would never for anyone else."