Chapter 24

Bayne was mad that I didn't make it out in time. I know I had to be better about that. I started setting several alarms during the day, reminding me to be outside. He had every right to be steamed.

The next day, Nadine had told me she found a place. It was a tiny, one bedroom apartment on the first floor of a building off campus. It was already furnished. The cracks in the ceiling and lack of fire alarms explained why it was at such a low price. We went and visited it the next day.

"I know it's kind of shit, but I figured we wouldn't be here much." She turned on the lights. They flickered three times before staying on.

"It's perfect. Thank you. When can we move in?"

"The landlord is bringing the papers over tomorrow, so we can start moving our stuff today."

I got ahold of Bayne and told him I was moving. He unexpectedly showed up outside the residence hall with his red car.

"Sorry, I have to move my stuff out. I can't search for the ingredients for the spell today." I explained to him.

"I know. Just thought you might want help." He said.

"You? Help me?"

"Don't let it get to your head. You don't have a car, thought I could help you. Forget it, maybe it was a bad idea." He said, about to get back in his car.

"No! No! Thank you, Bayne. That's really nice of you. I don't have much stuff, so it shouldn't take too long."

He helped me carry a couple boxes of stuff out.

Cole said nothing, not even a cold goodbye. Even though I was disappointed, I certainly wasn't surprised. I turned my key into the RA, and we left to the new place. It was not a very long drive, just a few blocks down the road. Nadine was already there.

"Guess I can see why this place is cheap, it's worse than a gutter." He said, setting a box down.

"It has character. And I don't think we'll be here often. We have to find that stuff for Raven." Said Nadine.

Bayne looked around, which didn't take much effort. Only one full spin in the living room.

"One bed?" He peaked in the tiny bedroom. The full sized bed took up a majority of the space.

"Yeah, I'm not here at night. And if I was I could just sleep on the couch." I explained to him.

"You can always crash here too, Bayne." Said Nadine.

"Thanks. It would be great to shower at a place that doesn't take quarters."

Nadine's phone rang. It played an upbeat ringtone.

"It's my mom. I'll be right back." She stepped outside, leaving me and Bayne alone.

"So. Not in school anymore?" Said Bayne.

"No. I'll go back when I'm human again. I can't do both."

"Make sure to go back when you're human again. School is important."

"You sound like my aunt." I said, beginning to open a box.

"So. You sharing a bed with Nadine, and Romulus? You're a bit of a player, aren't you?"

His comment irritated me.

"No. Nadine and I are just friends. As for Romulus, and whatever you saw.. I don't think it'll happen again. So don't worry."

"What happened with you and Romulus?"

I wanted to take a page out of Bayne's book and hit him with a "none of your business". But instead, there was silence. I didn't say anything.

Bayne opened his mouth to say more, but Nadine came in.

"Sorry about that, what were we talking about?"

"Nothing important." I said. Bayne looked at me. Nadine took a break and scrolled on her phone while I continued unpacking. The couch was a bit broken, and a hideous shade of mud brown. Bayne escorted himself to the bathroom.

"I'm thinking of putting my clothes on the shelf in-."

"OH MY GOD!" Nadine cupped her hand around her mouth while staring at a phone.

"What? See a spider?" Bayne returned.

"No. Look!" She shoved her phone in our faces. It was an article on the campus news page.

A large creature was spotted on campus last night around 6:30 near the Cafeteria. Campus police are searching for the large animal. It is expected to be extremely dangerous. Please call campus police if the animal is spotted.

"You were seen?" Roared Bayne.

"I lost track of time. I didn't know anyone saw me. I'm sorry."

"If anyone finds out about us, who knows what humans will do? The public can't know."

"I don't think they suspect anything supernatural going on. The pictures just look like a wolf. A big, abnormally sized, wolf." Nadine defended.

"If your dad finds out about this, he'll start asking questions. I can't disobey his direct orders. It's a pack guardian rule. We can't directly disobey the leader."

There was a knock on the door. We had no idea who it could be. We looked at each other in confusion.

"If that's your dad, we're fucked." Bayne said.

"I'll get it." Said Nadine. She went to the door.

"Excuse me, is Erin here?" A man's voice said.

"Uh. Who are you?" Nadine said.

I came to the door. I recognized the voices.

It was my aunt and uncle. They looked absolutely terrified.