Chapter 16

I slept the majority of the ride, not by choice. I didn't realize how exhausted I was. I felt around in my stuff for the bottle Romulus had given me. He had seemed to be a good healer, maybe he could help Nadine before my father saw her.

The pack lodge looked beautiful. It was a large, three story cabin. The path to it was long, and hidden behind pine trees. I bet it looked magical in the winter.

Bayne parked the car and we got out, checking for people.

"Lunch ended a bit ago, I don't think anyone should be downstairs." Said Bayne, grabbing his singular bag and throwing it over his shoulder.

Nadine opened the back car door, pushing herself up. She managed to lose her footing, and fell out of the car. She landed on her leg. She flinched in pain. I rushed over to her. We could see the blood stain seep through her pants.

"I think I tore a stitch." She winced.

"Someone here can help. Let me carry you. Please."

She slowly nodded in agreement. I scooped her into my arms. I had never been strong before, it was weird.

"Can you go ahead and see if anyone's here?" I asked Bayne.

He agreed. We went inside through the side door, entering the eating area. It was empty. I tried to remember how to get to the room where Romulus healed my injuries.

We heard footsteps come from down the stairs. Nadine and I panicked, looking at Bayne for an answer.

Then, Nadine closed her eyes and buried her face into my chest. I was confused on what she was doing.

It was my father, with Dakota. They were speaking, they stopped in mid conversation.

"Erin? Bayne? What are you doing back here?" He asked us. Bayne spoke up.

"I forgot some stuff here, stuff I need. We just thought we'd come back and get it."

"Who's the girl?" Ulrich asked.

"Erin's girlfriend. She fell asleep in the car." Bayne said.

Girlfriend? Why was he so insistent on that. Nadine and I were clearly friends. He knew that.

"Does she know about us?" Said Ulrich.

"Afraid so. She saw us change. Nothing happened, though. Erin has been excellent at keeping himself under control." Bayne lied once again.

"That's good to hear! Like father like son, I guess. Well, I'm glad you are here. I'll have a special dinner cooked up tonight. What's your favorite food, Erin?"

"Uh. Pancakes." I said.

"Pancakes it is, then. Erin, please come speak with me today. Until then, you better take your girlfriend up to a bed."

I nodded, and they walked off. Nadine continued to fake sleep until we made it to Romulus's healing room. We knocked, he answered.

"Erin! You're back. Bayne too, great." He said.

"Can we come in? Please?" I asked him.

He agreed, I brought Nadine in and shut the door behind us. I set her on the same bed I woke up in after the camping attack.

"Can you help her? She got hurt."

He examined her face.

"Some nasty cuts you got there. Hi, I'm Romulus." He flashed his white smile.

"Nadine." She greeted.

"Is your leg bleeding too? Let's look at it. Give me some time with her, please." Said Romulus.

We left them alone. Bayne and I waited outside.

"Why did you tell my dad she was my girlfriend?" I asked him.

"I mean, isn't she?"

"No. Not even close."

He shot me a look.

"You two might as well be, your up each other's asses."

"Nadine and I are just friends. It's all we'll ever be. I don't like her like that."

Bayne laughed.

"Don't lie to yourself."

"I'm not. You get mad when I make assumptions about your life? Fine. Then you have no right to make assumptions about mine! I don't think I even like women!"

Bayne's face fell flat. My heart sank. I couldn't believe what I had said. It was always in my mind, but I had never said it out loud before. I hoped he didn't think I was weird for spilling my secret.

Before he could say anything, Romulus popped his head out.

"I think I got most the damage fixed." Said Romulus.

We went back inside. She was changed into shorts. Her leg had a long scar down it, but it was completely healed. Her face cuts were healed, and she had no more bruises. How could he heal her in an instant?

"You look great!" I told her.

"Thank you, Romulus." Said Nadine, feeling her healed leg.

"My pleasure." He smiled warmly.

"What are you guys doing back already?"

"Forgot some stuff. None of your business. Let's go." Said Bayne, pushing past the door. We didn't follow.

"I don't get him." Said Nadine.

"Me either." I said.

Nadine thanked Romulus and got up from the bed. She went to follow Bayne. I was about to leave too, but Romulus stopped me. He shut the door behind him.

"You guys didn't forget something, did you? Her scratches were from wolf claws, weren't they?" He crossed his arms.

"Please don't tell my father. I didn't know what I was doing. If he finds out, he won't let me try to live a normal life. I won't get to go back to school or have friends." I begged him.

"Being here isn't so bad. I was seventeen when I got bitten. I think I was supposed to be eaten, not turned. But I lived. Your dad found me. Been here for three years now. It hasn't been so bad. I get to help a lot of people. Some of the guys are jerks, but they're not all bad. I think you would make friends here too."

"What about Bayne? What happened to him?"

"He's.. A long story. He was twelve when he was bitten. His parents too. They actually helped form the pack. His dad was in an accident and died a couple years after. As for his mom...She got really sick. A little over a year ago. He had to take his mom's place as a guardian, wolf rules. The other guardians thought it would have been good for him, but I don't know. I try not to give him a hard time. Despite his bad attitude."

"I didn't realize he had it so rough."

"Yeah, I feel for the guy. I hope he finds happiness here someday. And I hope you can too."

Romulus reached for my hand. My heart stopped. My brain froze.

"You should come meet me later, before it gets dark." He cupped my hand in his and smiled.