Chapter 73

Bayne was gone for almost a week. He had to cancel his therapy session, which made me feel nervous for him. The week he was gone I kept having the same fear. That Bayne and Sirius were romantically involved.

Bayne was standing in the forest, above him was a mountain. It was enchanting. The trees were tall and green. The sky was as blue as a billionaire's swimming pool.

I pushed up the hill and climbed towards him, but he seemed to be getting father away. I tried to touch him, but every time I had come close he took a step back.

I wasn't alone on the hill. There were footsteps. They started off light and airy, but soon became loud and harsh.

It was Sirius. His hair was sleek, and flopped into a small bun. He was wearing all green, almost a twin to the trees.

It soon became a race, took turns climbing up the mountain. I tried to keep up with him, but my body felt weak. My hands felt slippery, like they were covered in vegetable oil.

He reached Bayne. Wirh a helpful hand, Bayne hoisted him up.

"Bayne!" I called out, but no sound came out. My voice was muted.

He grabbed Sirius's face and laid on a heavy kiss at the top of the mountain.

I woke with a swift jolt. It was a dream, but a dream that felt all too real.

The images of them kissing, hugging, and having sex continued to infested my sleep for the entire week. I'd wake up in his bed alone, struggling with any sleep I managed to get.  I distracted myself with helping Romulus as best as I could, and attending magic lessons with Raven. I was learning just the basics, but it was a good start. One day, she asked about Nadine. I was honest with Raven.

"I might've messed up a little."

"What happened?"

"She came to me a week or so ago. She said she thought my dad was going to propose to her. I just got so weirded out. The thought of them getting married so soon just feels wrong. I snapped on her, and she left."

"You snapped at her?"

"I know I shouldn't have. I should've talked with them about how I felt. She packed up that day, my father hasn't seen her since. She doesn't even answer his calls."

"She doesn't want to talk to your dad. She probably wants to talk to you. She wouldn't have dated your dad if she knew you were uncomfortable with it. But Erin, they're in love. They're going to be together one way for another if they're meant to be."

"What are you saying?"

"Straight up? Get over it."

"What?"

"Yes, it's going to be weird. But they're in love. Your comfort is important too, but so is their love for each other. Go get her back. Then talk like mature adults." Raven said harshly. Raven had never been so straight forward before, I didn't expect that response from her. As I sat on her attic floor, I realized she wasn't wrong.

"I'll talk to her. To them." I told her.

Back at the lodge, the younglings were beginning to wrap their heads around the lodge life. They were coming to grips with reality. Some were beginning to fit into the pack and transition smoothly, others not so much. They socialized with the others at dinner. I was helping Romulus the best I could with easing them into their new way of life.

Jaxson, the first youngling to join, sat alone. He stared down at the wooden table at his full plate of food.

"Jaxson, why don't you join the others?" I suggested. He looked up, his brows furrowed.

"I don't want to socialize. I want to go home. I just finished graduate school. My life was just starting."

"I know the feeling. I was in my first semester of college when me and my friends were camping. I was attacked, but I was saved."

"I thought you were the chief's son or whatever?"

"I am. I thought he was dead until I came here. It's a long story."

"Not everyone is going to find long lost family members here. Some of us actually have families we want to go back to."

I remembered what Romulus had first said to me almost a year ago.

"Romulus was my first friend here, but back then, he was a stranger. He told me I could find happiness here. I didn't believe him, all I wanted was my old life back. I did dangerous things to try to turn back. It failed. Romulus was right. I did find happiness here. I made amazing friends, and met the love of my life. So please, give this place a chance."

Romulus joined us at the table.

"Jaxson. How's your bite feeling?" He asked him.

"Like a damn wolf bite. How do you think?" He got up and left.

"Damn. He's a bit harsh." I said.

"Yeah, he is. But they'll come around, they usually do."

"What if he doesn't? What if he just runs?"

"Then we'll catch him. If a wolf poses a threat to exposure, he's a danger to all of us. But let's hope it doesn't come to that."

Dakota, Sirius, and Bayne bursted through the door. My body tingled with excitement upon seeing him. I wanted to run up and kiss him, but everyone was watching. Sirius stood by his side. I recalled my dreams and it took all of my mental energy to surpass them.

A crowd gathered around them. Everyone wanted answers.

"We must speak with Ulrich. We will let you know when we know." Dakota announced, booking it up the stairs. Sirius and Bayne trailed them. Bayne didn't even give me a passing glance.

"He's just busy. Don't worry." Romulus made another attempt at reassurance.

They were upstairs for a while. It was beginning to get late. Ulrich summoned everyone into the dining hall to make a special announcement.

"This spike of werewolf bites isn't just here. It's happening all over Canada, and the northern parts of the United States. Me, along with the other pack leaders, deciding on having a meeting to get to the bottom of this. The meeting that will be held in one week. I expect everyone on their best behavior. I know it is a little crowded right now, and next week will be even more so. But we will adapt, and we will get to the bottom of this." My father announced to the crowd.

"Other packs? How many are there?"

"In Canada? Four, including us. We're the South Western pack. Then up north, there's the North Eastern, North Western, and South Eastern."

"It will be dark soon, so younglings, ready yourself. Find your partner before the moon comes out."

Every youngling was assigned a mature wolf to follow. The mature wolf watched them, and kept them as far away from others as possible.

The crowd dispersed. I went up to my father. He and Dakota were speaking.

"Ulrich, I think we should have the meeting elsewhere." Dakota suggested.

"Are you opposed to hosting?"

"Under normal circumstances, no. But we are over crowded as is. Plus, the younglings still may need some time. They're still processing."

"Perhaps you're right. I'll get ahold of the other packs and figure something out."

"Where did Bayne and Sirius go? We should talk with them."

"They went upstairs together." My father said. My heart stopped. My father's attention turned towards me.

"Erin, did you need something?" He asked.

I passed through him and leapt up the stairs, in fear that my nightmares were about to be my reality.