Chapter 40

We jumped about six feet high. He was alive. The color began to return to his skin. His cheeks were rosy. His eyes were a brighter green than before.

"Bayne! You're alive!" Jumped Romulus. He immediately grabbed his stethoscope and listened to his steady heartbeat.

Bayne looked confused. He examined the room, then himself.

"You're heart! It's nice and strong! You're alive!"

"What the hell am I wearing?" Bayne asked, staring down at the suit he was dressed in.

"We thought you were dead. You were almost dead. You were unconscious."

"For how long?"

"Since November. It's the end of January now."

"What! What day is it?"

"January 27th."

Bayne heard the date and looked at me. I couldn't believe it. He was here. He was alive, and deep in his heart, he loved me. Even if he couldn't admit it to himself, everyone else in the room knew the truth of his heart.

"This is great! I have to go and get your dad!" Said Nadine before running out of the room.

The pack piled in. I'm sure it was all overwhelming for Bayne, but he handled it well.

"Baynie Babie! You're okay!" Raven hugged him while wearing a wide smile.

"What happened?" He asked her. She explained the witch attack, and how he was in a coma. She told him how they tried several spells and nothing worked. She told them how we had almost lost him forever.

The wolves chattered to Bayne. It was similar lineup to the goodbyes, only this was the opposite. I knew I wasn't going to be able to talk to him anytime soon,  so I decided to leave the room for a bit. All thirty something wolves crowded in the small healing room to see the him. He didn't like to admit it, but they did have family there. They cared for him. The pack was filled with a buzz of joy.

About an hour later, they began to leave. Everyone was smiling and cheering on their way out. I went back in. It was just him and Romulus. He was checking him over one final time before releasing him.

He saw me in the door way while listening to Bayne's heart one final time.

"Everything looks good, Bayne. I'll leave you to alone."

He left us alone. I stood in the room at the end of his bed. Romulus shut the door behind us.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like a dink. Who dressed me like this?" He harped, while undoing the top button on his tight dress shirt. He took off his vest and sat up.

I smiled. Bayne was feeling better.

"We thought. You know..."

"That I was dying? I don't care, don't bury me in this. Ever." He commanded, while he unfluffed his hair.

"I'll make sure they get the memo next time. Thank you, by the way."

"For what?" He asked.

"Saving me. I would've died if I were you."

"It was nothing. If they managed to save me, they would've been able to save you."

"Did they tell you how they did it?" I asked.

"Raven said it was some potion. She didn't say much about it, just that she found it at the right time. I was almost a goner for good."

"Ah, right. Yeah. You were on deaths door."

I felt a bit sad. I didn't want to tell him how he had woken up. I didn't want him pressured into caring about me. If he was denying what we all knew, I wanted to give him time to figure it out on his own.

"Well, maybe I should go. Let you rest." I said, looking at the door. I began to leave.

"I don't think so. Come here." He said.

I came closer and sat on the edge of my bed. He pulled me down by the shirt collar towards him.

He pushed his lips into mind, giving me one of the best kisses I had ever received. It didn't feel like a few sparks, it felt like an entire lighting storm. Every part of my body was tuned in to the kiss. I couldn't think. I felt like I was being put in a trance by his lips.

I pulled away, afraid to open my eyes in fear that the most epic kiss of my life was a dream.

Reluctantly, I opened my eyes. Bayne beamed at me. His soft green eyes looked into mine.

"Bayne. I don't understand. I thought-." I blabbed in confusion.

"I know. I know. I'm sorry. I should've been honest with you. I liked you when I first kissed you. I'm just afraid. Everyone I've ever cared about has died or left. But I won't let anything happen to you. I'll save you." He said, his tone was soft. He pulled his hands away from me.

"Is that our lives now? Taking turns saving each other?" I asked.

"Only if you'll allow it."

He was beautiful. I know he hated the clothes he was in, but he was so incredibly handsome. Suit or not. He was vulnerable, and capable of loving. It would be a hard journey, but he was worth it.

I returned my hand to his. This time I kissed him. I felt his hand gently caress my cheek. His tongue slipped into my mouth. I savored every moment of it.

Suddenly, Bayne jerked back.

"Wait! It's your birthday, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Are you gonna give me a birthday present?" I grinned.

"Yeah. The gift of being human again. We need to go. Find Romulus, Raven, and Nadine. I'm going to change, then we're taking down Remus, tonight."