Chapter 80

Bayne grabbed my hand and pulled me outside. He led me like a dog on a leash.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

He didn't answer. He took me towards the lake. The sky was painted beautiful shades of pinks and oranges. It reminded me of a smoothie. The golden light made Bayne's eyes shine like gems. His hair matched the golden glimmer the sun bestowed upon us.

He took me to the other side of the lake and down the small hill. There was a pile of wood, along with construction equipment. There was a frame of a small home. The beams were up, and it appeared to be the early stages of the walls were being added.

"I really wanted it to be a surprise. That's why I lied. I didn't realize my absence made you so anxious. I'm sorry."

"What is this?" I asked.

"Well with the lodge being constructed, and the mass amount of new wolves we have, I wanted us to have a place of our own. A place to ourselves. I talked to Ulrich about it, but he said as a guardian I can't leave the property. Well, technically across the lake is still on the property."

"You're building us a home?"

"I figured with all the craziness of this place we could use a place for us. Your father agreed."

"What about Sirius?" I blurted.

"Sirius? What about him?"

"You've been spending a lot of time with him recently." I said.

"Sirius and his buddies have been helping with the construction. Gives them something to do, I guess."

I could picture it perfectly, mainly because half the picture was right in front of me. A house with Bayne, a sunset background fading off into the night next to the lake. We would still be close to everyone, just with our own personal paradise of privacy.

"I was just afraid...After we had sex. That it wasn't good enough."

"I wish I could wipe all of those terrible thoughts from your mind. No. It was more than enough. And if it wasn't, who cares? It's not your job to constantly please me."

"I just was afraid you'd turn to someone else."

"Like who?"

I was hesitant to say it out loud.

"Sirius."

Bayne's face filled up with air like in balloon, resisting to let out laughter.

"Sirius? Seriously?" He bursted.

"Yeah, I mean. It's been consuming me. You guys had something."

"That was years ago. I was a different person than I am now. I was just a horny teenager trying to figure out if I liked men or women. I would never, ever, try anything with him again. Or anyone else, for that matter."

His words were strong and reassuring. I felt lighter.

"Sirius is such a cocky jerk too. Two of the same don't mix well." He said.

"What am I then? A good contrast?"

"You're loving, and understanding. A lot of people aren't like that. You've stood by me through all of my  struggles. A lot of people wouldn't do that."

"I will continue to do so. I really want to get that mental health program started here."

"You know Jaxson? One of the newbies?" He said.

"Mr.Gloomy, yeah?"

"He just finished grad school for psychology. I think he's the closest thing we have for a professional. Maybe you can talk to him about it."