Chapter 50

My jaw dropped. My mug slipped out of my hand. Immediate panic flooded over me. I began to feel too warm.

"Death? They'll kill him?"

"Yes. They would. The C.C.C. doesn't believe in second chances. When there's a problem, they just eliminate it."

I immediately felt nauseous. He couldn't die. I needed to save him. I would do whatever it took to save him.

"I can't let that happen. I won't." I said.

"The C.C.C. is powerful. You'll have to find some proof that it wasn't Bayne, I doubt they'll find it on their own."

I thought for a moment of what this meant. I thought of the sacrifice Romulus had made.

"When you killed Remus, you took the risk of getting killed, too."

"I had to do it. He had to be stopped."

We finished our tea. Romulus went to bed. I stayed up and waited for Bayne. I didn't care if it would take all night.

The storm didn't stop. I had almost fallen asleep waiting for him. Then, the wettest man I had ever seen shoved the door open. I stood up to greet him.

"You're absolutely soaked." I rushed to the nearest bathroom and grabbed him a towel. He took off his wet jacket and gave him a towel.  He wrapped himself in it.

"Thanks." He said. He appeared to be cooled down in every way possible. I sat next to him on the wooden bench by the door.

"I'm sorry, Bayne. I really am. I should've trusted you. I know you didn't kill her."

"It's alright. If you were going on trial for murder, I'm sure I'd have my doubts too." He took the towel and ran it through his wet hair.

"Even if you did do it, I would help you run. I'll go with you. We can live in the woods or something."

"So you found out what the punishment is for murder, huh?"

I put my hand on his arm.

"I will make sure you don't die. You promised me that once, now I'm doing the same for you."

"Thank you, Erin. I just don't know if there's much we can do."

"Yes, we can. We can find out who really killed her. Get evidence, bring it to the C.C.C., and clear your name."

"You make it sound so easy." He said, running his fingers through his wet hair.

"Maybe we can get help from Raven or something. We'll figure it out." I put my arm around him and pulled him closer.

"We can try. I think I'm going to go shower."

"It looks like you already took a shower." I joked, brushing his soaked hair back. He put his hand on my leg.

"Do you want to join me?" He asked.

"Me? Oh, I already showered."

"Are you going to come to bed with me?" He offered. I couldn't think of a reason not to.

"Of course." I agreed, going with him up to his room. He dug in his dresser for clothes.

"I'll be right back." He kissed me on the lips before leaving to shower.

I knew he wanted sex, and I figured I owed him that. He could be arrested tomorrow. I couldn't tell him I was a virgin, but I also couldn't embarrass myself with being inexperienced.

I rolled over and pretended to sleep, even though sleep felt impossible. Bayne came back in about ten minutes later. He smelled like his waterfall body wash, and his cool mint tooth paste.

"I just wanted to say-." Bayne began, but then stopped when he thought I was sleeping.

He turned off the lamp and crawled next to me. He put his strong arm around me, spooning me. He gently stroked the back of my hair and gave me a kiss on the head.

"I love you." He whispered.

I laid still and didn't physically react. Inside, I was busting with happiness. He had said it out loud, he accepted his love for me. It took every muscle in my face to push back the quivering smile that so desperately wanted to break through.

I felt guilty for pretending to sleep. He deserved sex.

He squeezed me a bit tighter as a final act of comfort. He then rolled over, and fell asleep fast.

My dreams of Adolpha's torn face didn't end. I had seen death before, I woke up, not understanding why hers haunted me so much. I wasn't close with her. I didn't know her well. She didn't like me, she thought I was trouble. But that was the extent of our relationship.

The bright sun greeted us in the morning. Bayne's arm was slung around me. He was shirtless, and just wearing sweat pants. He kept his eyes closed and turned away from the bright son. He needed his rest.

There was a pounding on the door. Bayne groaned and shoved his fist into a pillow.

"Are we joking right now." He said muffled into the pillow.

"I can get it." I said.

"No, it's fine." He lifted his head out of the pillow and began to get up.

"No, I'll get it." I lightly pushed him back onto the bed. He rubbed his eyes.

There was another hefty pound on the door.

"Coming." I said. I opened the door. It was Hunter, one of the wolves.

"Someone from the C.C.C. Is here. They need Bayne."