Chapter 75

I didn't stay in town long after. I went back to my father. I only wished I had good news for him.

"How is she? Did she come back?" My father interrogated, looking behind me for his beloved.

"No. I don't think she's coming back."

His eyes became red, as if he were going to spew out tears.

"If that's what she wants. Then I have to accept it. We're leaving in the morning."  He left me standing alone.

The night with the younglings was long and rough. We had lost two of them and had to find them before departing the next morning. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

The North Eastern pack was on the other side of the country. My father had gotten a helicopter to transport the four of us. It was loud and fast. I gripped onto Bayne as it took off into the sky.

"Is this your first time flying?" He said.

"WHAT?"

"Is THIS your FIRST time FLYING?"

"WHAT?"

"IS THIS YOUR FIRST TIME FLYING!"

"Yes! It is!" I said.

The engine roared like an angry lion. It made talking, or sleeping impossible. I scooted closer to Bayne and talked in his ear.

"Where does the money come from? To rent out stuff like this?" I shouted next to him.

"Taxes! We have a deal with the government. They pay for the lodges essentials, if we keep ourselves contained from humans!" He shouted back.

"Why don't they want humans to know?"

"Humans aren't very accepting. Heard of the Salem Witch trials? Didn't end well for them!"

After endless hours of noise, we made it to Quebec, where the North Eastern lodge lived. My father insisted that the rest of the way would be traveled on foot. They thanked the helicopter driver and hiked away from the town into a patch of woods. They stopped and began to strip. I turned away in avoidance to seeing my father's genitals.

On their command, they turned into wolves. My father was the largest, then Dakota and Bayne followed.

Get on me. We need to leave before we're seen.

Bayne's voice echoed in my head. I did as he commanded and hopped onto him. Ulrich led us to the lodge.

I could feel the chilled air attempt to attack my warm skin. The temperature was much more mild in the northeast.

Around an hour later, we approached miles of mountains. We followed the gravel road up the mountain. On the corner of the mountain laid a home. It was much different than the wooden lodge we inhabited. It was large, almost mansion like. It appeared to be a European style home, with large windows, and a stone path outside. Behind the house, several cars were parked. A single posted light greeted us at the doorway.

I got off of Bayne and they turned back. They slipped on their clothes before knocking on the door.

A woman answered. She seemed to be around
My dad's age. Her hair was pumpkin colored and glossy. She wore a fitting black dress. Her emerald earrings swallowed her ears.

"Welcome, Ulrich!" The woman exchanged a friendly embrace.

"This is Aspen, everyone. She is the pack leader of the North Eastern pack. This is my guardians, Dakota and Bayne. And this is my son, Erin."