Chapter 30

"What?" I said in a daze.

"Never risk your life again for me, you understand?"

Our lips were inches away from each other. He looked into my eyes. I looked longingly back at his before slowly nodding. I was hoping he was going to go in for another kiss.

"Go back to sleep. You need your rest." He said.

I wanted to fight the tiredness that I had felt, but I couldn't. I slipped back into sleep. My body was exhausted. I woke up a few hours later. Bayne wasn't there. I feared that maybe I had dreamt it. There was a knock on the wooden door. I expected it to be Romulus.

"Yes?" I said.

It was Bayne. He was carrying a small tray with a hot bowl of soup, some pills, and water bottle.

"Oh, hey." I said, pushing myself up.

"Hey. Just thought I would bring you something to eat. All we had was chicken noodle, but I tried to scoop the chicken out."

"That's alright. Thank you."

He brought the tray over to me and sat next to me on the bed. He was being nice, I expected a joke about my vegetarianism. 

"These should help with the pain." He handed me some pills and held the water bottle. I popped the pills in my mouth. He took the cap off the water bottle for me. It was strange, having Bayne take care of me. Bayne had never been open with his emotions.

Bayne opened the lid off the soup container. Steam rolled out of the top. There was another knock on the door.

It was my dad, Ulrich. He came in.

"Erin! Are you alright?" He rushed over to me, staring at my injured chest.

"I'm alright. I'll live." I said.

His worry turned to anger when he focused on Bayne. He kept his head low.

"Bayne. Hallway. Now." He said in a stern voice.

Bayne handed me the bowl of soup with the spoon and followed my dad outside. Ulrich closed the door behind him.

I wanted to hear what was happening. I set the soup down and I pushed myself off the bed. I walked over to the door hunches over. I cracked it open just enough to see them. There was no one else out there.

"What the hell happened? Why the HELL was there a bullet in my son's chest?" My dad exploded at Bayne.

"It was an accident. It was the cops. We think some campers saw us and report it to the police. He was shot."

"Why were you near anyone? You're supposed to stay out of sight!"

"I know. I'm sorry." Bayne said.

"Sorry doesn't cut it! My son was almost killed on your watch. I know you don't want to be a guardian, but this is not the way to get out of it!"

"I'm not trying to! I would never hurt him on purpose!"

"QUIET! You will do as I say. My son is no longer safe with you. I thought you could at least keep him alive! You almost got him killed, and you potentially exposed us to humans! You're coming back."

Bayne lowered his head.

"What about Erin?" He asked.

"You've put my boy through enough. I will send a new guardian with him. He is done being around you. I will come up with a more suitable punishment for you soon." My dad was boiling.

I didn't like that my father put all the blame on him. All Bayne did was try to help me with what I wanted. I wanted to change back into human. I jumped in front of the bullet. It was all me. He did nothing but do as I wanted.