Chapter 63

Bayne fell into a deep sleep fast. I couldn't imagine his mental exhaustion. He had just found out he had killed his pack leader, and almost killed me. On top of being controlled by a ruthless vampire, I couldn't imagine the pain he was feeling.

It was all because of Bree, and her desperate revenge for her little brother.

It was beginning to become late evening, Bayne was still asleep. I decided to carefully slip away to see what was going on downstairs.

Nadine, Raven, Romulus, and a bunch of other wolves were downstairs for dinner. My father and the C.C.C. were nowhere in sight. My friends were all sitting together. I joined them.

"How is he?" Raven asked, sipping a hot cup of tea.

"Exhausted. A bit unstable right now, but who can blame him." I said.

"Your father and the C.C.C. are still interrogating the gumpire. The witch transported Helio's real body back to their headquarters."

"I can't believe Bree did this. I wish she could just leave Bayne alone." Nadine said, playing with her peas on her plate.

"I know. I'm afraid she's not done with him yet, either." I said.

"I should bring him up some food. He probably hasn't eaten in days." I said before getting up.

"Thank you, guys. Especially you, Romulus. If it wasn't for you, Bayne's head would be separated from his body right now."

"Anything for a friend." He smiled at me before I went to plate up some food.

I scooped a large clump of mashed potatoes, pieces of steak, and peas for him. I grabbed some water as well and began to head back upstairs.

I was about to step on the stairs, but my father and the C.C.C. members came down. Dakota trailed down behind him. Their prisoner was in chains.

"We will further deal with this man and hunt down the evil witch." She announced. The fairy had Seth in chains. His greasy hair streaked down in his face.

"Is Bayne off the hook?" I asked.

"Not quite. He still did kill Adolpha." She said.

"It wasn't him! He was being controlled!" I stepped in.

"Please. Bayne has been through enough. He is a competent guardian whose gone through a lot. The evidence given proves his innocence." My father defended Bayne.

The witch looked back at the other two members of her trio for an answer.

"I agree. Bayne Greene is innocent." The fairy said.

"Agreed." Repeated the vampire.

"Fine. Bayne Greene is innocent." The witch said while scrunching up her nose.

Everyone cheered and shouted with happiness. His name had finally been cleared.

"Thank you. But I have one more question." I asked her.

"What is it now?" She raised an irritated eyebrow.

"Bayne is exhausted and stressed. Turning tonight won't help his condition...Can you please block the moon tonight? I've watched Bree do it once, and surely the most powerful witch in Canada can do it, too."