Chapter 35

I shook him. He wasn't conscious. I felt a light heartbeat in his chest. He was alive. He had saved me.

"How DARE you hurt him!" I stood up to the witch.

"It was meant for you. It's what he deserves. He killed my brother. I only wish he was alive to watch me kill the rest of you."

"NO! THIS NEEDS TO STOP!" I yelled. Just then, the ground shook. The wind became harsh. It blew against Bree.

Raven stood up, using the full force of her powers. Raven and Bree battled. Sending deadly curses and hexes flying at each other. I went to dig out Romulus, but he was in deep.

"Bree, I've known you for a long time. You're better than this! Bayne was your friend once!"

"Until he got my brother killed!" She knocked Raven down.

Raven got back up to shoot a similar spell back at her.

"Don't make me hurt you. Please." Raven said.

Bree laughed.

"Ha! Everyone knows you're the weakest out of all of us. You can't defeat me."

Raven used all her power against Bree. Tree branches grew and tied around Bree's legs. She attempted to blast them off, but they were too strong. Raven used the branches to wrap around Bree. Once they had a secure grip, she froze them. Locking Bree's arms and legs, causing her unable to cast spells.

Bree screamed and squirmed. Raven lowered her to the ground. With a swish of her hand over her face, Raven casted a spell over the screaming witch.

"Sleep." Said Raven.

Bree was sleeping in an instant. Her screaming stopped.

Raven got Romulus out of the hole in the ground. Bayne was still unconscious.

"Raven, can you wake him up?" I asked, crouching by his side.

"I can try. We should get out of here first." She said.

The clouds didn't part from the sky. They kept the moon hidden. We returned late at night. Everyone was still awake in the hall.

I carried Bayne inside. The attention immediately went toward us.

"Get him to my healing room! Romulus said, urgently.

We rushed him in. Romulus and Raven examined him.

"Oh, no." Said Raven.

"What?" I panicked.

"It wasn't just any spell she put on him. It's a cursed hex. He's not dead, just unconscious. I don't know when he'll wake up. If he wakes up."

"But he has to! He has to wake up! I was supposed to be the one that's hurt!" I said.

"We will try to figure out a way to wake him up." Romulus reassured me.

"What about Bree? What if she comes back?"

"We'll have to report her to a the C.C.C. Killing with magic is illegal." Raven said.

"Erin, go find your dad. We'll need him." Instructed Romulus.

I left Bayne with them to find my father. I was bombarded with questions from the other wolves. I told them I would answer them later, and asked them where to find my father.

"Upstairs. The guardian's table."

I went to the room where I had first met him. The room was empty except for him and Nadine. She sat on top of the table talking to him. She saw me enter and slid down. My dad stood close to her, talking to her.

"Erin! What are you doing here?"

"Dad! I need your help. Bayne was attacked by a witch. She tried to kill him." I huffed.

"Is he here?" He asked.

I brought them down to Bayne. He still was unconscious. He laid on the bed, eyes shut. His clothes were dirty.

"Romulus, what has happened?" Ulrich asked, examining Bayne.

"We were out in the woods for the night. A witch pushed the moon behind the clouds and attacked us. She tried to kill us and Bayne, but another witch, Raven saved us." He explained.

"Why did a witch attack him?"

"It was Bree. She's upset about Finn. Wants revenge."

"Well that simply can't be. The witch coven is a peaceful one."

"Look at him, does he look peaceful? No. She tried to kill him. We're all witnesses."

"I'll have to contact the C.C.C. They won't be happy about this, but maybe they'll be able to help him."

Romulus opened Bayne's eyelid and flashed a light in them. He seemed empty. My father alerted the C.C.C. and they said they would be on their way.

Things quieted down a bit before they came. Romulus worked through the night with Raven's help to undo what Bree did to him. It wasn't looking good. I regretted stuffing my feelings down. Even if they weren't reciprocated, I couldn't deny they were there anymore. I sat by him. I didn't want to leave his side.

A vampire, a witch, and what appeared to be a fairy entered the camp. He didn't have any obnoxious wings from what I could see, but his ears were sharp and his clothes were bright. The vampire and witch were two women dressed in much darker colors. They talked to Ulrich first. Then Raven.

"Show us where you trapped her." They requested. Raven and my dad left to retrieve Bree from the branches Raven trapped her in.

Nadine fell asleep in a chair by the window. I couldn't stop pacing.

"Have you ever had anything like this before? Can you fix it?" I asked him.

"Not like this. It was a really strong curse she put on him. I don't know if I can without Raven's help."

He saw the panic take over my face.

"But we'll figure it out. Well save Bayne. I won't let anything happen to him." He comforted.

I nodded, but his comfort couldn't stop my anxious pacing.

"Why don't you go get some food or something? You're gonna wear out my floor."

"I'm not hungry." I said.

"Well, I am. Go fetch me something please. Something with meat."

I did as he requested. I went into the kitchen and made him a few sandwiches. Turkey and ham.

The door opened. They had returned. Raven looked distraught.

"What happened? Where's Bree?"

"She wasn't there. We tracked and couldn't find her. She's still out there."