Chapter 54

My dad's eyes were huge.

"You saw her? What happened?" My dad asked.

Raven and I got off the hard floor. I felt weak. My legs twitched.

"Maybe we should go outside, dad. Get some air."

He followed me outside to the porch of their home. I closed the door behind him. My friends stayed in the attic.

"What happened? Is she alive?" I could see he had hope in his eyes.

I told him everything I saw. From her leaving the coven, to her going up in flames. His head rested on his hand. The lines on his forehead were prominent. At first, he didn't say anything. He just stared at the ground.

"I can't believe it. I can't believe Melody would lie to me."

He felt betrayal even after all these years.

"Dad, I don't think she wanted to. But it seemed like she really hated her coven, and she just wanted a normal life. A life with you."

"I just can't believe it. A witch.. She saved me that day. I never put it together."

"Yes, and she died trying to protect you. To protect us."

"I can't believe I never knew." He put his hand on my shoulder.

"The day I found out she was pregnant, I was so scared. I didn't know how to raise a baby. But your mom insisted we'd do it together. That night. Everything went wrong. I couldn't do it without her. I was turning into something I thought was horrible. Even when I controlled myself I didn't go back.. I'm sorry, Erin. Not coming back for you is my biggest regret."

I touched his shoulder.

"It's alright, dad. Aunt Katie was good to me. I miss her." I said.

"Me too." He replied. He took a deep inhale.

"I never thought you would be apart of my world.  I know you tried to escape it. But it looks like you were born to be here."

I couldn't imagine how hard it was for him. He thought he was keeping me safe from the horrors of the magical world. Even though I was condemned at birth.

"The butterfly necklace. How did you have it? Did you go back for it?" I asked him.

"No, I never went back. The clasp broke that day, I told your mother I would fix it for her, and put it in my pocket. I never imagined then that it would be the last thing I have of hers. It was a lifetime ago."

I hugged him.

"I wish she was here too."  I said. I knew what he was thinking. I could only imagine the pain he was feeling. The resentment he had for himself for leaving his family. He pulled away.

"I don't think I should talk to Nadine about this."

"Don't keep it bottled up. Be honest with her, she'll understand."

We returned inside. He greeted Nadine with a hug. I heard her softly ask if he was alright.

"Erin. You are in fact a child of a witch. I know why I didn't recognize her name. She changed it. Liana Black was from a strict, power hungry, coven in the United States. They despised humans, and thought witches were superior to all other creatures. From what we saw, it looked like Liana disagreed with their practices." Raven explained.

"Then she left. Changed her name.."

My dad already knew the rest. I didn't want to have to explain it to him again.

"The coven. They threatened to find and kill Erin." My dad said.

"I don't think you'll have to worry about that. The coven was disbanded seventeen years ago for their unethical practices. I don't think her mom is even alive anymore." Raven explained.