Chapter 44

I didn't know what he was doing, but I knew I wanted to be apart of it. I left Nadine's side to catch up with Bayne.

"Hey! Where are you running off to?" I joined him. The snow was ankle deep.

"Thought I'd go for a walk. Enjoy my working lungs." He said, taking a deep breath of the crisp winter air. Our breaths released out small clouds, like dragons.

"Can I come with?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'd like that." He agreed.

We walked into the woods to the bench where my dad and I originally sat at. We brushed the snow off and admired the icy scenery together. The trees were layered with snow. Everything looked sugar coded.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get you changed back to human. I know that's all you really wanted. I failed doing that."

"I was upset at first. But this morning, I had realized something. I may be cursed for my entire existence, but being cursed has done a lot for me."

"Oh yeah? Like turning into a beast, and craving raw meat?"

"Not like that. If I wasn't cursed, I never would've found my dad. Back in September, I thought my dad was dead. I was raised fine, but I never even imagined what seeing him again would be like. Not only did I meet him, he was the leader of the wolf pack, which allowed me to try to live a normal life. On top of that, he decided to send a boy with a bad attitude with me. You."

I smiled and grabbed his warm hand. It was good to feel his heat once again.

"I thought it was going to be terrible at first. But it wasn't. My feelings grew for you, fast. And then we kissed the first time."

"I don't have an easy time apologizing, but I am sorry." He said again.

"Don't try to keep your feelings hidden again. It doesn't end well."

"I know. It's just hard. Everyone I seem to care about has died. Finn, my parents. Remus drug his body in the lake, you know. His body ended up around the spot you and your friends were camping. We don't know why he did that, he probably thought he was covering up his tracks."

I remembered the friends I had at the beginning of the school year. We talked about a kid found dead in the lake. I never put together it was Finn.

"I didn't realize that was him. I heard stories about him. People say the place is haunted."

"I sure hope not. I hope Finn is at peace."

"Are ghosts real?"

"Not sure. I've never encountered one. I hope not. I hope they pass peacefully. Except Remus, I hope he felt the pain of that knife." Bayne balled up his fist in my hand. I understood his anger. I wanted to help him let go of it. I put my hand over his and squeezed his fist.

"I won't let anything happen to you. I do care about you." He said.

"What are we, then?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Are we like. Dating?"

"If you give me the chance to. I know I have a lot of issues I need to work on, but I would like you by my side. For all of it."

I looked back at this moment a lot. Thinking about where it all started. Sometimes I wondered if I would've been better off if I had said no. If my life would have been less challenging, safer if I said no.

"I'll always be here for you."

We exchanged a kiss. His face was warm, despite it being almost negative temperatures.