Chapter 65

Bayne spent the next few days in bed. He was slowly regaining his strength. When he was steadily walking on his own, we decided it was time to go to Raven's to see if the magic could be removed. Nadine and Romulus joined us.

The big, white house in the woods felt empty. Raven was the only one inside. We all followed her up to the attic. I found a seat for Bayne in the corner. He still looked exhausted. Dark rings lined the bottom of his eyes,

"How are you feeling?" Raven asked him.

"Exhausted. Headaches. Night terrors. Nothing I can't handle."

"I'm going to try to remove the magic from you today. I've been reading up on it. It's complicated. And there's no way to know if it's all removed."

"Will it hurt?" I asked.

"Don't worry, Erin. I can handle a little pain." He said.

Raven instructed him to lay down on the creaky wood floor in the middle of the attic. The floor was dirty from our shoes carrying it in.

"Do you want me to put something under your head?" I offered.

"I'm okay, Erin. You don't need to baby me." He said.

I knew he was trying to keep his tough exterior showing.

"Alright. Let's do this. I'm going to put you under a sleeping spell. It won't be as strong. I'll wake you up once I got the magic removed." She explained.

He nodded. With a wave of her hand over his eyes, he fell asleep.

"Sleep." She said while she casted the spell over him.

"The sleeping spell is a very simple one, Erin. I'm sure you would be able to do it easily." She said.

"But the magic removal? I wish Bree wasn't so evil. She's the only one I know that could perfect this. Maybe the C.C.C. Witch too."

"Remember, Raven. Confidence. The key to magic." Romulus reminded her.

She inhaled deeply.

"You're right. I have to try." She agreed.

We watched her hover over Bayne's resting body. She put her hands over his chest, feeling his heart beat. We remained silent to avoid any distractions. She began chanting words quietly, and closed her eyes tightly. Her chanting stopped, her hands still crossed over his heart. She took another deep breath. Her breathing seemed to stop. This lasted for only a few minutes.

She took in a heavy gulp of air and separated her crossed hands. Slowly, she released the breath out, as if she was blowing out birthday candles.

Her eyes opened, her breaths became normal. She held her head as she rocked backwards.

"Are you alright?" Romulus crouched by her.

"What happened? Did it work?"

"I'm- I'm not sure. I couldn't see."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It was like I was in a pitch black room. The light was faint. I removed as much as I could, but I couldn't see anything else." She explained.

"Can you try again? We have to get it out."

"I can try again, but if it's dark there's nothing I can do. Bree's magic is too dark to find the light in. It's like looking for a light switch in a completely black room." She said.

Raven tried again, and returned from the darkness.

"I'm sorry. Maybe that was all that was inside of him." She said.