Chapter 91

I carried him back in, abandoning the ring box in snow. I rushed into the lodge with Bayne in my arms. His painful shriek's didn't end. I slammed open the door.

"HELP! SOMEONE!" I yelled. Romulus and Jaxon came rushing out to the dining room.

Bayne's hand clenched his stomach as if it were a ball he was afraid to loose. Despite him just being outside in ten degree weather, he was sweating.

"What happened?" Romulus asked.

"I- I don't know. We were outside. He collapsed." I said.

Bayne let out a other painful cry before panting, searching for air. Nadine and a few others rushed down stairs from the sounds of his screams.

"Romulus...Remember our deal." He said weakly.

"Deal? What deal? What's going on?" I asked Romulus in a speedy, panicked tone.

"There's no time right now! Jaxson, call Raven over. I might need her help. Hurry!" He demanded. We transferred Bayne from my arms to his. Romulus rushed him into his healing room.

"No! I need to be with him!" I said.

"Stay out here. I'll do everything I can." Romulus said.

I stepped forward, about to barge into the healing room regardless. I didn't care what they thought, I couldn't lose him.

I felt a strong arm grab me by my shoulder and pull me back. It was Nadine. I had sometimes forgotten she had the same strength as the rest of us.

"Let them work. If you really want Bayne to be okay, you'll stay here. Come sit with me."

Nadine and I sat by the stairs. My eyes couldn't separate from the door. His screams didn't stop. Raven joined Romulus not long after. She didn't stop to speak with us. Jaxson must've explained to her the urgency of the situation.

"I don't understand what's happening. He was fine. We were fine. He was talking and walking just fine. Then, he collapsed in the snow."

Nadine gently rubbed my shoulder.

"Raven is an excellent witch, Romulus is an amazing  healer. They will fix whatever is wrong with him."

I didn't sleep that night. Nadine and I sat by the stairs, listening to his hollow screams. It was agony. I couldn't imagine what he was feeling. Our lives had finally reached a point of peace. What could have possibly crawled inside of him?

The screams stopped around sunrise. Which only ignited the worst fear in me. That Bayne was gone. I couldn't wait any longer. I busted through the healing room door.

Bayne was laying on the bed. A wet wash cloth rested on his forehead. His body was sweating profusely. He was wearing nothing but shorts. He reminded me of a youngling in his first form. His eyes were closed.

"Is he?" My eyes filled up with water.

"No, he's alive. We just put him under for a bit. At least it'll stop the screams. I gave him a bunch of prescription pain killers for now too." Romulus said.

"What's happening to him?"

Bayne woke up with a rough groan. He reached for the wash cloth on his head. I crouched next to the bed by him. His body radiated heat.

"Bayne? I had just put the sleeping spell on you! How are you awake already?" Raven said.

"How's the pain?" Romulus asked.

"Still awful, but bearable." He said.

"If Raven's magic is fading off that fast, I can't imagine the pain killers will work for very long either."

"Someone please tell me what's going on. What's wrong with him? Why is he sick?" I pleaded.

Raven's words came out slow and unsteady.

"We think...We think it's Bree." She said.

"Bree? That's not possible. Bayne took the potion. Her magic shouldn't effect him. Unless it didn't work." I put my hand over his.

"You need to tell him, Bayne." Romulus said with his arms crossed.

"Me? Tell me what?"

Bayne was resistant.

"Tell me!" I said.

"I didn't take the protection potion...You did."