Chapter 96

I did as Raven demanded. I showered, ate a big meal, and slept. My sleep was uneasy, but I slept for the entire day. I woke up to the sound of Bayne's screamer from downstairs.

I rushed downstairs in my pajamas to the healing room. His screams were blood curdling. I immediately felt guilty for indulging myself with sleep.

His stomach looked swollen. Dark veins embroidered his stomach. He cried. Romulus gave him another shot, Raven put him under a sleep spell.

"That won't last long. He has been waking up sooner." Raven said.

"The pain killers seem to stop working too." Romulus said, tossing the used needle.

"There has to be a way. He's in so much pain."

"I let the wolves know what we've found with Bree. The guardians are out searching now, and the younglings are getting ready for tonight's search." Raven explained.

"We're not finding anything! And he's getting worse. Look at his stomach!"

"I know. There's nothing we can do unless we find Bree. We can try to stop the pain, but that's running thin too."

I squatted next to him and held his hand. He was burning up.

"His fever has gone up significantly as well." Romulus stated.

His eyes were closed. Sweat soaked his body and the bed sheets around him. His face looked skinny. He was still hooked up to an IV because he couldn't keep any food down. I held back my tears the best I could.

"This wasn't supposed to happen. We were supposed to spend every Valentine's Day together. Every birthday. Every day."

"I know, Erin. I'm sorry. I wish there was more we could do." Raven said.

A lightbulb appeared over Romulu's head.

"I have an idea. It won't cure him, but it might subdue his pain."

"What is it?" Raven asked.

"The sleeping hex Bree put on him. That kept him asleep."

"It will also slowly killed him." I added.

"It won't buy us more time, but it'll keep him asleep, maybe it'll make his pain less severe."

"You want to put him in a magically induced coma?" Raven asked.

"Precisely. We know how to make the potion to wake him up too, using Erin's hair." He explained.

I feared for the plan. A number of things could go wrong.

"Bree's magic is still inside him. It might resist the sleeping hex." She said.

"No harm in trying, Erin? What do you think?"

I looked longingly at Bayne. Day by day he was beginning to look less like him. His features were fading.

"I don't know. If it helps him suffer less, let's try it."

"Alright, then. Raven. You want to wake him up so we can ask him?"

She woke him up. His screaming shook the lodge. He began to ball his eyes out, grasping his side.

"Bayne! We want to put a sleeping hex on you. Hopefully it'll help with the pain!" Romulus told him, loudly trying to talk over his screams.

"Just kill me! Please! It's too much!" He cried.

I scooped up his sweaty hand into my dry hands.

"Bayne, let us try this." I said to him.

"Erin, you have to learn to let me go. Please! It's too much..."