Chapter 23

I didn't say anything to Romulus. I closed the door on my way out. I had felt badly for hurting him. He was right, I should have trusted him more. He was the first friend I had here, possibly the only friend. He was kind to me when others weren't. And now I had potentially lost him.

We began our journey back to West Haven. Nadine examined the long list of ingredients Raven needed for the tracking spell.

"Where the hell are we going to get all this? Yarrow root, mustard seed, nightshade, snakeskin? That's not even half of it!"

"Online. If we can't order it online, we'll have to go and look for it. I think most of it can be found around here." Bayne explained while driving.

We arrived home in the late afternoon. I had missed two days of school, and was mountains behind on homework. I didn't know how I was going to be able to keep up. There was too much going on. I was already failing my classes, despite my best attempt to staying on top of it.

I came to the conclusion that it would be best if I quit school. I was just a month in, my life had just started. If I had to put school on hold to be able to get a normal life again, so be it. I clicked on my classes and dropped out. I didn't know where I was going to life. I would have to move out of the dorms as soon as possible.

I went to Nadine's dorm room. Lidia answered. I had almost forgotten they were roommates.

"Hey, is Nadine here?" I asked. She opened the door. Dante and Pax were there too, but Nadine wasn't. They were piled in the room playing video games on the television.

"No. She went to get food. Didn't she like, disappear with you for a few days in the middle of the week? Don't you think you spent enough time with her? Especially right after she got out of the hospital?" Snapped Lidia. She glared at me.

"I just had to ask her a question. About my math homework. Yeah."

"She doesn't have the same math as you, does she?" Dante spoke up, pulling his eyes away from the screen.

"Yeah. But. She's smart."

"I could probably help you." Said Pax. Lidia gave him a disapproving look.

"What's going on, guys?" Nadine was behind me. She was carrying a packaged salad and a juice bottle in her hand.

"I just needed to talk to you."

"He needs help with his math homework, why don't you help him in here?" Said Lidia, crossing her arms.

"Thanks, but I think it'll be too loud in here to focus. We can go go the library."

Nadine pulled on my arm. Lidia shut the door as we walked down the hall.

Lidia did not seem to appreciate the fact that I was pulling Nadine away from them. Maybe she was right. Nadine shouldn't be caught up in someone else's world. In someone else's problem. She shouldn't have to pick me over them. She's known them for longer.

"What's going on?" She asked.

We walked out of the dorm and went to the cafeteria so she could finish her food. It was past dinner time, so it was relatively empty.

"I wanted to let you know something. I have to drop out of school for now."

"I will too then."