Chapter 21

We turned around. It was a young woman. Her hair was short and bleached. She was tall. A tattoo of a spiderweb covered her shoulder.

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?" She roared, speeding towards him.

"I'm sorry. I was just leaving." He reached for the door again. Vines crawled on the floor and grabbed his ankles. He tried to fight it off, but they pulled him down to the ground. The vines then drug him across the black and white checkered floor.

"We have to get him off!" Said Nadine.

We grabbed for his hands and tried to pull him back. The vines were too strong. They pulled him closer to her.

"I told you to NEVER come back here. I TOLD you if I EVER saw you again, I would destroy you."

"Please. Him go." I said.

She looked up at me, and then returned her fiery eyes to Bayne.

"Really, Bayne? You're trying to ruin another boy? I don't think so."

She commanded the vines to elevate Bayne. They suspended him up into the air. The ceilings were tall, the drop would injure him. Seeing her anger, she may have just wanted to kill them. I watched him. I wanted them to stop.

"Stop it!" Nadine yelled.

The vines released him. He slammed into the ground.

"Are you alright?" Nadine rushed to Bayne. He pushed himself off the floor.

"I'm fine." He grunted.

"You don't know what you're getting into." Said the woman with the spiderweb tattoo.

"I don't. You're right. Please, let him go out the door and you'll never see him again." Nadine promised.

"That's what he said five years ago. But here he is! On my floor."

"He won't come back. We promise. He won't be this foolish again." Nadine said.

Bayne didn't fight her. He didn't stand up for himself. For the first time, someone insulted him and he stayed quiet. He took what she was doing to him. He wasn't fighting back. Perhaps she wasn't in the wrong.

"I'm not going to let him! He deserves to suffer!" The vines came back and squeezed his neck. Nadine and I screamed and tried to tear the vines off.

"No! Let him go! NOW!" I yelled. She didn't listen. The vines grip had gotten tighter. His face began tu turn purple.

Nadine dug in her coat pocket to find a small knife. She opened it and sliced a layer of vines off. Bayne coughed as the remaining vines released them.

"RUN!" Nadine yelled. We ran towards the door. Bayne fumbled. I put my arm around him and attempted to help him up.

I felt for the door handle, it was still locked. The vines were repairing themselves. They began to creep towards us.

"What do we do?" I said.

There were two windows on each side of the door. The glass was tinted. We looked back at the vines as it was almost to our feet.

With all of Nadine's force, she kicked the window. Glass shattered, making an opening, and a hopeful way of escaping. She gave the remaining glass another kick and climbed through.

"Hurry!"

Bayne went through first, cutting his hands on the edge of the window. I jumped out, cutting my shirt on a sharp corner.

We ran towards the car. We thought we were safe. The vines followed us through the damaged window.

"Keys! We need the keys!" Rushed Nadine. Bayne frantically felt in all his pockets. He dug them out of his inner coat pocket.

He unlocked the car and we piled in. We started it immediately and drove away.

We had a moment to breathe. We thought we had lost the deadly vines. We were wrong.

THUMP!

A vine smacked against the car. It latched onto the back of it like a suctioned tentacle. It pulled us back towards the house.

Bayne pushed hard on the gas in attempt to remove us from its grip. It felt almost unbreakable. Bayne then threw the car in reverse, running over the vine, and flattening it. He then slammed it in drive and sped away as fast as he could.

We were finally all able to breathe, the vines were safely in the distance.

"Bayne, what did you do to her? That girl?" Said Nadine.

"Who is she?" I piled on.

"Her name is Bree. She's a witch..Nothing. It was a long time ago."

"What happened? You stood her up on a date or something?" I joked. Nadine tried not to laugh.

"No. I got her brother killed."

The vibe completely changed from a joke, to tension that was thick enough to cut through. Bayne didn't take his eyes off the road.

"I'm sorry, Bayne. What happened?" I apologized.

He was reluctant to tell us. I could see his hesitation.

"If you don't want to tell us, it's alright. You don't have to." Said Nadine from the back seat.

"It was five years ago. I was fifteen. Bree had a little brother, and honestly, he was like a little brother to me. His name was Finn. He was turned into a wolf. He was only thirteen. I was turned when I was really young, so I felt for him. I found out a way to change people back to human. I wanted to help him. But we were both young and stupid with something to prove. We went to the wolf. We tried to kill him, but he was too strong. He destroyed him. Tore his face off. I still have nightmares about it sometimes." Bayne's hands tightened on the steering wheel. He would never admit it, but I saw tears form in his eyes.

"Bree never forgave me for bringing her little brother out there. I don't blame her. I should've let her kill me."

"It's not your fault. You were just a kid." Said Nadine.

"She's right. There's no way you could've known. You can't blame yourself." I said.

"The wolf turned Finn. He was powerful. We were foolish to think we could take him. He was apart of a different pack, but he split from there years ago. He eats and kills people. It's illegal for us to do, but he does it anyway. He went away for a while. We aren't sure, but we think he might be back."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Remus. Romulus's twin brother."