Chapter 8

He marched towards me and looked down. It was like looking at my aunt, with more masculine features. He was older than the pictures I had seen of him. I couldn't believe my eyes, despite the fact that my vision was seemingly perfect now.

"Erin?" He said, beaming.

"Erin! It's not possible!" He grabbed my hand and brought me to my feet.

He looked at me eye to eye. He had a scruffy face. His hair dark. He looked different than the pictures. Like an imitation painting, but the original piece still there.

"This. Can't be true. You died. In a fire. With mom. I'm dreaming." I said, pointing a shaky finger at him. My weak legs gave out from under me. I landed on the ground, resting on my knees.

"Adolpha! Is he a youngling?" He didn't break eye contact with me.

"Yes, Ulrich. We brought him here yesterday."

"This is my son."

I felt like I was in a dream. My father? It couldn't be him. It just couldn't be. They died in a fire so long ago. I barley remembered them. Just what my aunt and uncle told me.

"Ulrich, we didn't know."

"Who-. Who turned him?"

"It wasn't any of us. We think it could be-."

My head spun. I had no idea what they were talking about. My heart began to race, my temperature increased. I felt sick.

"You don't look so good. Let's get him to Romulus." Ulrich said.

I didn't know if it was from exhaustion, anxiety, or both. I passed out. I woke up in the same bed that I had originally woken up in yesterday. Romulus wasn't there. I looked up to see Ulrich. It wasn't a dream.

"How do you feel?" He said, standing over my bed.

"I'm alright. I think."

"Do you feel okay enough to walk? I want to talk with you."

I pushed myself off the bed. I wasn't as weak as I was before, but my legs still felt unsteady. We went outside, towards the forest. It was windy, but not unbearable. In the woods there was a wooden bench mended on top of a fallen tree. We sat there.

"I never thought you'd be apart of my world." He huffed.

"Please. I don't know what's going on. Everything. How are you alive?"

He took a deep breath.

"There was a fire, this is true. We lived a couple hours south of Silver Point. Your mom and I just bought the house after we had you. You weren't there that night. You were at my parents home, which was lucky. I would have never forgiven myself if you were there that night.." His voice trailed off. It hurt him to continue.

"Your mom and I were there. It was late November, we were beginning to bring in our Christmas decorations for the year. I wasn't from the area, I moved there for your mother. The area gave me a strange feeling. I couldn't place it. Your mom said I was being ridiculous, that there was nothing strange. I wasn't so sure. A few nights before I was camping with some friends. And I saw something. Something animal, yet ghost like. I followed it. It howled. It was a werewolf, but I didn't know that then. I went back and told your mom. She thought I was just being silly. Three days later, there was a fire. I woke up with a bite on my leg and I've been like this ever since. They bit your mom too, but she died in the fire. I couldn't take care of you, I was a wolf. I didn't want to hurt you. I ran." 

"That doesn't make sense. Why would they burn down your house to change you?"

"I never really knew. I assume I had offended them, or they didn't want a human following them."

"And you go by Ulrich now? I thought your name was Kaden."

"It was. I go by Ulrich now for my new life. I'm sorry I didn't come back for you once I got my werewolf self under control."

I wanted to be mad. I wanted to hate him for leaving me, but I honestly didn't. My life was fine, good even with my aunt and uncle. They took care of me and watched over me. They were my parents.

"I understand. My aunt and uncle were good to me. I'm not hurt by it." I said to him.

"You're a stronger man than I ever imagined. I was hoping you'd have a simple, happy life. I didn't think you would end up here, at my doorstep."

"What is this place?"

"This is my wolf pack. Me, Adolpha, Dakota, and now Bayne watch over it. I'm the pack leader, and they are guardians who follow my order. There are incidences where people all over the world turn into wolves when they're not supposed to. They get sent here so we can teach them how to control themselves. Most stay here. There's a council that oversees us. The higher council summons us when needed, but otherwise we are content here."

"There's a council? For werewolves?" I asked.

"Not just werewolves. Witches, vampires, and fairies."

"What? Fairies? Those are all real?" I couldn't believe what he said.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but there's a whole other world humans don't know about. And it's for the best. Last time witches came close to being open about their abilities they were burned at the stake. Humans aren't very accepting of those who are different to them." He explained.

I sat there, so many thoughts running though my mind. My dad was alive. He was a werewolf. I am alive. I am a werewolf. I told myself. There are witches. I am not human anymore.

"I think you'll like it here. Most don't at first, but then they come around." He touched my shoulder.

"I can't be here. I just started college. I just moved into a dorm and made a bunch of new friends. My grades haven't even been posted yet, I can't leave is there a cure? Can I turn back human?"

He inhaled.

"No, not a safe one. We have people searching for an antidote. But there isn't one yet."

"I can't be here. I need to go." I pulled away from him.

"I know it's hard to leave a life behind you don't want to leave. I understand you. I had to do it too.
But it will be alright."

"No. It won't. I didn't ask for this. I was living a normal life and I want it back. I love my aunt and uncle. I love my friends."

I thought of Nadine. I wondered where she thought I had gone. I wondered if she thought I was dead.

"Please. Please. Let me go back to them. I need to see them. I can't live without them. Please."

He took a deep breath and sighed.

"Fine. But I'm sending Bayne with you."