Chapter 17

Romulus's hands were strong, yet surprisingly soft. He brushed my palm with his thumb. My heart jumped in my throat. Was he interested in me? I asked myself.

Well no, shit! He's holding your hand, isn't he?

Maybe he's being nice. Maybe he hinted at this before and I just missed it. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

He's holding your damn hand and asked you to meet him later! Why are you being so naive?

I had a mental argument back and forth with myself that went on for far too long. I didn't know what Romulus was doing.

"Are you alright? You look pale." He said.

"I'm fine. Great. Actually. Yes. Outstanding." I cleared my throat.

"Anyway, I need to go talk to my dad." I pulled my hand away, ripping it off like a band aid.

"Will you come back later?" He asked.

"Uh, yes. I will. I just. I just have to do a few things first. Bye!"

I went out the door and closed it behind me. When on the other side, I took a deep breath. What had just happened? Did Romulus really like me? I thought about what that meant, if I could see a future with him. I found my mind getting way too ahead of myself. Maybe he just wanted to be friends, but why did he hold my hand like that?

I found Bayne and Nadine out front.

"We need to find a wolf. Sirius. I checked in the rooms and he wasn't there."

"Why do we need to find him?"

"He's an excellent tracker. A moron, but still a good tracker." Said Bayne.

A man I hadn't met before came outside. He was wearing shorts and a tank top. He seemed to be in his mid twenties.

"Did you guys say Sirius?" The man asked.

"You've seen him, Hunter?" Asked Bayne.

"He's down at the field. We're about to start if you want to come with me."

"Fine. Let's go." Bayne huffed.

The man took us down to an open field. It was completely different than the woods. The ground was flat. A few men were setting up for an event.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Football. Well, soccer, I guess. A lot of wolves enjoy it." Said Bayne.

We saw Sirius on the field. He was setting up for the game. He had dark hair and tattoos. I had remembered him from the day I got here. Everyone seemed to think he was a jerk.

Bayne called him over.

"Sirius."

"Bayne."

They greeted each other in very monotone voices.

"Look, I need your help with something."

"And what's that?"

A whistle blew, calling the players to the field.

"Talk to me after." Sirius said before sprinting away.

Bayne began to fume.

"This is wasting my time."

"They seem really into soccer." Said Nadine.

"A bunch of beef heads trying to kick a ball, a waste of time if you ask me." Grunted Bayne.

We watched the match. They didn't play like humans did. They went hard as they could. The kicks were higher, they shoved each other into the ground. That type of playing would end with a human team in the hospital. Bayne impatiently kept his arms crossed the entire time.