Chapter 59

•Bayne's POV•

In the cage near the edge of the woods, I remained alone. Every limb was chained down. Moving was an impossible task, as was breathing.

The pack had mostly cleared out after they chained me up like an animal. But Erin was wrong. I wasn't an animal. I was something much worse. I was a monster. A disgusting creature that deserved the solitude they confined me to.

I was alone outside. It was getting later, the moon was going to rise. I was left alone with my melancholy thoughts. There was talk of an execution tomorrow. My execution. I couldn't move. All I could do was suffer in my own mind.

In the distance, I saw a figure approach me. I tilted my head down. I had I figured it was Ulrich. I was ready to hear his deadly threats and deserved taunts. Instead, it was a friendly face.

"Bayne." Romulus said in a hushed tone. He crouched down by the cage.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be running away in fear too?" I asked.

"I don't have much time. Tell me what happened yesterday."

"I. I don't know. I don't remember a thing."

"Not a thing?" He raised his eyebrows.

"No. Nothing. I was in the lodge, the next minute I'm waking up, butt ass naked, in this cage."

"You attacked Erin. You tried to kill him. Raven casted a memory spell. You killed Adolpha too."

Romulus confirmed my biggest fear. My throat closed.

"Erin. He showed me the claw marks. I really hurt him?"

"You did. If Ulrich wasn't there to stop you in time, Erin would be dead."

I tore apart my brain in attempt to remember anything. My mind was completely empty from any memory or trace of that. I lowered my head. It was like I was tearing through stacks and stacks of paper with no outcome. I had to be real with myself. It was me. There was no denying that.

"If I tried to kill Erin, I deserve to die."

"No. I believe you. I think there's something going on here."

"Erin? Does he believe me?" I asked him.

"I'm afraid not. He did, up until you attacked him. He's pretty traumatized. Almost getting eaten by your boyfriend isn't an easy thing to look past."

"If I did kill Adolpha, and tried to kill Erin, I am a monster."

"I'm going to do some searching. Something strange is going on here, I'll figure out what it is. Before your execution."

"Good luck. All the evidence seems pretty stacked against me. Oh, wait. Because I did do it!"

"You didn't do it willingly. Something took control over you. Maybe it's possible for wolves to regress, and lose control again."

"You think my wolf abilities are regressing?" I asked.

"Maybe. I don't know. But I'll spend until then trying to figure something out. At least prolong the execution so I can keep digging."

"Thank you, Romulus. But why are you helping me?"

"You and Erin are my friends. Don't worry, he'll come around too." Romulus smiled. He glanced back at the lodge.

"Don't go anywhere, I'll see you in the morning."

"Great. I'll try not to." I huffed.

He disappeared back inside, leaving me to wallow in my self hatred alone once more. Romulus was a good person. A much better person than I.

I had felt insanely awful. It felt like Finn, but much worse. This was not an accidental incident, this was a full blown attack by me. The evil pit sat in my stomach, shooting pain all out of my body. My heart snapped like a twig. I knew whatever fate had in store for me tomorrow was well deserved.

My body changed with the moon. I felt like the hideous creature they had claimed me to be. I couldn't move. All my limbs were clamped down. I wanted to call for Erin, for him to come and save me.  I knew there would be no saving me this time.