Chapter 53

I had recognized her from the pictures I had seen. She was lovely. She wore a long dress, and a hooded cloak pulled over her. She was pale like the moon.

"Mom?" I called out.

Raven's hand was still in mine.

"She can't hear you, and she can't hear us. We're back in time."

"Like, in a memory?"

"Sort of. Watch!" She pointed at my mother.

We watched her. She was still in the dark. The moon had risen. It was a full moon. An older woman approached her in the night. The old woman's face was thin and bony. Her hair was frail and white like spiderwebs.

"Liane. What are you doing?" Hissed the old woman.

I was confused.

"I don't know if that's her. My mom's name was Melody, not Liane." I told Raven.

"Just watch. The spell is never wrong." Raven explained.

The old woman reached for the young woman's arm.

"You. You aren't supposed to be here." She said. Her starry eyes began to leak.

"You cannot leave, Liane. Drop this foolishness. You're apart of the coven. You were born here. You will die here.This is where you are meant to be."

"No. I can't. I don't want to be a witch anymore. I don't want anything bad to happen again."

"Power isn't bad. Power is good, my sweet Liane." She stroked her bony hand across Liane's face. Liane winced, and pulled away.

"No. I can't stay here. I don't want to be apart of this. I want to be ordinary. I want to be human."

"You're so foolish! You're making a mistake! Humans are nothing. They're useless."

"You're wrong, mother."

With a flick of her wrist, she surrounded herself with smoke. It began to swirl around her. She looked back at the old woman. She balled up her fists in rage, but Liana looked defeated.

"Goodbye."

She flicked her wrist once more. Her mom began to scream.

"You will suffer. You will regret betraying your own coven. Your own kind!"

The smoke tightened around Liane before disappearing into the night.

The scene changed. We were in the small city. It appeared time had passed. Liane wasn't dressed the same. She wore a sweater and boots. Her hair was down as opposed to the tight updo she had before. She strutted down the cozy street. The wind blew her silky hair. She wasn't pale and sad anymore, her face was more round. Her cheeks had a rosy tint to them. She was glowing. Orange and red leaves danced through the air. The trees shedded the colorful leaves onto the sidewalks.

Across the street, there were a group of construction workers in bright orange vests and hard hats. They were working on the side of the building. The plank under them wobbled as they worked on the windows. They chatted and worked. One was whistling the tune of a song.

With a heavy gush of wind and the unsteady plank, one of the men began to fall. Liana rushed across the street. She looked around her quickly, before flicking her wrist. She gritted her teeth as the man fell. He landed on the cement, back first.

"Are you alright?" Liane said, rushing over to
Him. She kneeled down by him.

He pushed himself off the cement and examined himself. He was perfectly fine. He felt down his arms and legs, checking for any injuries.