Chapter 58

Romulus had taken me back to his healing room. I couldn't speak. The ice storm hadn't came to an end. I couldn't get the image of Bayne digging his claws into my chest out of my mind. Bayne was my protector. He was my first teacher. He taught me how to manage myself and be a better wolf. That meant nothing now. All the love we had for each other was gone when he sank his claws into my heart.

Romulus healed my wounds, they were mainly not life threatening. The biggest pain was to my heart.

"There has to be some explanation. Maybe-." Romulus tried to say. I cut him off.

"No. There isn't. Bayne is blood thirsty. He tried to kill me without a second thought." I said as Romulus finished working on my shoulder.

"Bayne wouldn't hurt you. Maybe it wasn't him."

"I saw his eyes. It was him. I saw the hunger in his eyes as he tried to tear me to pieces. It was him." He clipped the gauze with scissors and finished padding my injuries.

We suddenly heard shouts from outside.

"He's awake! He turned back! Everyone, watch out!"

Romulus rushed to the window. I didn't know if I wanted to look.

"It's Bayne. He's awake." He said, still watching out the window.

"I think you should go see him. You deserve answers." Romulus said.

I was afraid to. I didn't want to admit it, but I didn't want to face him. I didn't know what I would say. Nothing he could say could make me believe him. He said he didn't do it. He said he would never hurt me. All of our intimate moments were nothing but lies.

"I don't know if I want to see him." I admitted.

"I'll go with you. Be right by your side. Promise." Romulus extended his hand. He helped me off the bed and helped my slip my shirt over my injuries.  Romulus walked next to me as we went towards the outside.

Through the windows I could see a herd of wolves surrounding the cage a safe distance away. They looked scared. My father was out there with everyone else.

I came outside and begin to walk with Romulus. My father extended his arm outward to stop me.

"What do you think you're doing?" He said.

"Erin wants to speak with him. Just for a moment." Romulus explained.

I stretched my neck in attempt to see Bayne.

"No. He is too dangerous."

"The C.C.C. has been informed and will be on their way shortly for the execution." Helio approached my father.

His words felt like a brick was dropped on my stomach.

"Execution? What evidence do you have?" Romulus said.

"If attempted murder on my son isn't enough evidence, nothing is."

"Besides, the witch saw him during her memoranda spell. She had already confirmed it. Bayne will be executed tomorrow at sunrise." Helio said, his nose pointed towards the sky.

The information they were throwing at me felt like darts. I felt like the target. He was going to die. This time tomrorow, he will be dead, I thought.

I didn't want him to die. I wanted things to go back to the way they were two days ago. I wanted him to hold me, him to tell me he loved me. At least one more time.

I had to remind myself that Bayne was gone. He had become another person I could never be in love with. A monster that has tried to kill me. I wanted to know why.

"We're going to talk to him." Romulus said, taking a few steps closer.

"No! You will not! I forbid you to step any step closer towards that cage!" My father roared. The other wolves fell silent.

"I was never initiated into the pack. I don't have to take orders from you." I snapped at my father before pushing past him and approaching the cage.

"ERIN! NO!" My dad yelled. I ignored his cry.

Bayne was in human form. He was given clothes. He gripped the bars with his head down. His eyes flickered when he saw me.

"Erin! Thank god you're here!" He smiled. It had almost felt genuine. He reached through the bars for my hand. I pulled back in fear.

"Erin? What's wrong?"

"Please don't make this harder than it is."

"What? What happened? What's going on?"

I couldn't stand to listen to his fake questions. I felt my eyes begin to water.

"Please. Stop lying to me. I'm sick of your lies." I sat on my knees.

"What? I seriously don't know what you're talking about. Why am I in here? Is this some kind of joke?"

I tugged the top part of my t shirt down, and revealed the vicious claw marks drilled into my chest.

"I did this? I hurt you?" He gasped.

"You're a convincing liar. Why me? Why Adolpha? What happened to you? Were you always a monster?" I asked. Tears began to fall out of my eyes. I released my shirt.

"Erin...Please.. I'm sorry."

"I thought we were supposed to save each other. Not try to hurt each other." I let out a staggered breath. "Especially not like this."

His head dropped. I began to ball. Romulus and Nadine came over to get me. They both took me by the arm and hoisted me up to my feet.

"Come on, Erin. Let's go." Nadine pulled on me.

He didn't say anything else. He was silent, with his head down. Maybe he did feel remorse for his actions. But it was too late. I began to walk away.

"Chain him up nice and tight. Don't want him getting free tonight. Who knows who else he'll sink his teeth into." My father commanded.