Chapter 27

Bayne pushed me behind him, I'm attempt to protect me. The vampires got closer.

"We didn't know. Let us leave." Bayne said.

"It's not everyday wolves walk right into our territory. This should be fun." The girl hissed.

My body took over and pushed me on the ground. One of them did something to us.

"I fucking hate vampires." Bayne said under his breath. They kept us still.

"Why? Because we have more protective rights than you? If all of you didn't mate like rabbits, you wouldn't have this problem!" One of the men said. The other two laughed.

"Are you going to eat us?" I asked.

They continued to laugh.

"Eat a wolf? Gross, too much muscle to tear through. The blood tastes disgusting."

"What are you lone wolves doing here? Thought you traveled in packs."

"What's this?" The woman grabbed the small bag I had put the plant in.

"Leave it alone." Bayne grunted.

"Something important?" The woman dumped it out of the bag and crushed it with her foot.

"No!" I yelled, as she twisted her ankle deeper in it.

They laughed.

"Stay until night time, cowards. I'll be the one tearing you apart." Bayne roared.

"I don't think so. Let's go, not much else we can do with these losers." Said the guy.

They disappeared. Bayne and I were alone. We were stuck in the position they left us in. It felt like I was tied up with my hands behind my back. I tried to pull them away. I couldn't move.

"Bayne. Why can't we move?"

"Those son's of bitches have mind control power. It'll wear off at night, their power weakens at night." He explained, still steaming at them.

"Why did they do this?"

"Vampires think their hot shit. A bit of a god complex. They love messing with people, they think they're special because the C.C.C. is more generous to them."

"The council that watches over all creatures?"

"Yes. The vampire population is extremely small. The council gave them designated areas to live in. We can't harm them while they're in it. A bunch of bull shit if you ask me."

"Why is their population so small? Can't they just make more?"

"I think they're lying to get special treatment, but who knows. We have to make sure to be out of here by tomorrow morning, or I'm sure they'll come back."

"The Drowsy Windroot. How will we get that in time?"

"Not sure, we'll figure something out. Nothing we can do but sit here."

The sunlight shining in Bayne's deep green eyes made them shine. It was like he had an entire forest inside him.

"Bayne, can I ask you something?" I said.

"Nothing much else to do." He huffed.

"I heard. Around the lodge. That your mom.."

"Died? Yeah. Last year." His face sunk in. His eyes lowered. I almost immediately regret asking.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"It's alright. She was a guardian. She was good at it too, and she loved it. My dad died a few years back. She got sick one day, don't really know what from. One day she just got really sick. Romulus couldn't even save her. No one could." His voice quivered with pain.

"I'm sorry." I said. I was at a loss for words. I wish I could've comforted him.

"It was my job to step up and be a guardian. I knew it would happen one day, but not this soon. I hate it."  I saw tears began to swell his eye.

I put my hand on his.

"I'm sorry. You've had a hard life and you deserve good things."

"Not really. I've made a lot of mistakes. Your mom is dead too. I don't deserve any special sympathy."

"My mom died when I was my baby. And for eighteen years, my dad was dead too. I didn't know them like you knew yours."

I lightly squeezed his hand. Bayne looked down at me. I had an instant fear roll over me that I was doing something wrong.

"Erin. You're holding my hand."

"My bad, sorry." I immediately pulled it away. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"No! You're moving! You broke their mind control." Bayne said.

I stood up and moved both of my hands. I could move. Bayne was still locked on the ground.

"How did I do that?"

"Don't know, you must have a stronger mind than you thought. Go look for the Drowsy Windroot before it gets dark." He commanded.

It didn't take long to find another Windroot. Bayne remained frozen until nightfall. We turned.

I followed Bayne through the woods in wolf form. I was beginning to recognize Bayne more. I was becoming more in control with my mind. I was still a passenger, but I wasn't in the trunk anymore.

We bolted out of there the next morning and drove back home. We had fewer complications finding the rest.

Bayne informed Raven when we had all the things needed for the tracking spell. He was on the phone with her a few days before Halloween. Bayne and I were walking outside towards the apartment. My feelings for Bayne were growing, but I needed to stay focused on the goal at hand.

"Great, we'll figure something out. Alright. Bye." He hung up the phone.

"We need to find a place for Raven to do the spell. The attic of their home would've been ideal, but I can't go back there."

"She can do it in our apartment." I suggested.

"I don't think so. That'll wreck a lot of your stuff. She needs a lot of space for it. A place where she can harness the moon's power."

I tried to think of an ideal place for that.

"Would the woods by the lodge work?"

"I'm afraid your dad would catch us."

I thought for a moment. Maybe Nadine would know a place. We walked inside the apartment. I opened the door and immediately began to start talking.

"Nadine. Do you have any ideas where we can do the spell, Raven can't-." I felt Bayne's elbow dig into my stomach.

I entered to see all of her friends there. They glared at me.