Chapter 51

Bayne staggered his way out of bed and put on clothes.

"We'll be down there in a minute." I told him.

"Hurry, he seems impatient." He said before I closed the door. Bayne was buckling his jeans.

"What are we going to do? How are we going to get away from him?"

"Don't panic, it'll be okay. I didn't do it, and we'll prove that."

I tried to formulate a plan in my mind. I didn't know the extent of the witches powers, what they were capable of. I wanted to see if Raven could do anything to help us.

We went downstairs after we were dressed. My father and Dakota stood with him. His skin was like marble, his suit was maroon. His hair was the color of parchment.

"I'm Helio. I was sent by the C.C.C to keep a close eye on Bayne Greene and further their investigation here until the council returns from the other packs." He explained.

"He didn't do it. I can promise you that."

"Evidence says otherwise. I will do a complete sweep of the lodge and look for anything the murderer has left behind. As for Bayne, you cannot leave the lodge during the day. Understood?"

I wanted to protest, but Bayne was complying.

"Yes, sir." He said.

He began to look for anything else the C.C.C. had left behind. Bayne was required to stay, but I wasn't. I snuck past him and my father to scoop up Nadine and Romulus.

"Bayne didn't kill Adolpha." I said.

"We know. What are we going to do?" Nadine asked.

"We're going to Raven. There has to be something she can do. Even if it's just proving Bayne's innocence."

They agreed, and we left immediately. We went out the back, hoping no one would notice our absence.

We drove to the twisted woods to find Raven. It looked the same as last time, with less broken windows.

Romulus knocked on the door. The man that was there the first time answered.

"She's not here. She hasn't came back. I'm sick of everyone looking for her." He said, sticking his upper body out the door.

"No. We're not looking for Bree. Is Raven here?" Romulus asked.

The man extended the door open and granted us access.

"Knock yourself out. Just try not to break anymore windows this time. The spell to fix them is harder than you might think."

"You guys must've really did a number on this place last time." Romulus looked around the Victorian as we entered.

Memories from being here before rushed back, and played like an old film reel. Bree wasn't here, I told myself. She couldn't hurt me or Bayne.

Raven was up in the creaky attic. She had something brewing. The crystals around her were illuminated and colorful.

"Hey, Raven." I greeted. She turned to see the three of us standing in the entry way.

"Hey! Look what the dog dragged in!" She joked before rushing over to us. The crystals went dark behind her. We all exchanged hugs with her.

"What's going on? Is Bayne alright?"

"Unfortunately not. I'm sorry to ask this again Raven, but we need your help."

"Bayne was a good friend of mine when we were young, and he still is. What did he get himself into this time?"

"Adolpha, our pack leader. She's been killed. And they think Bayne did it."

"Why would he do that? Bayne wouldn't."

"Exactly. He didn't. We need to find out who did. Or at least prove Bayne's innocence."

"Do you have a spell for that?" Romulus asked.

"I might have something. There's a spell. With an object from Adolpha, along with some other things, I think it can be done. The spell can take us to where she was. To see what happened."

"That's perfect! We can catch the murderer and prove Bayne's innocence." Nadine said.

"The only thing is the spell will need a lot of power."

"Full moon power?" I asked.

"Yes. We will have to wait."

"We don't have time to wait. They're really set on Bayne. If they don't find any evidence against someone else, they will execute him. I have to save him." I explained.

"Poor Bayne. He's been through so much. I'll go search for the spell book downstairs."

Raven touched my arm.

"We will help Bayne." She said to me.

I nodded and thanked her before she disappeared downstairs. I couldn't fail him. I planned to do everything I needed to ensure Bayne didn't end up dead.

The attic was incredible. There were so many potions and books scattered around the room. I wonder what they all did. Being a witch would be superior to being a wolf, I thought.

"What do you think all those potions do?" I pointed to a shelf and approached it.

"Be careful with that stuff. You don't know what kind of magic is put on it." Romulus said, following me.

A shelf near the cauldron had hundreds of small bottles. They were all a variety of colors, and textures. I didn't want to take it, I just wondered what was inside.

I reached up, but before I could touch it, a violent gush of wind pushed me backwards. I couldn't hold my grip to the ground, it forced me backwards and pushed me down by the cauldron. I landed on my butt.

"Told you, Erin. You need to be- wait. What the hell?" Romulus's eyes widened.

It took me a moment to realize what I was staring at. The crystals near me were illuminated. They lit up the otherwise dark attic.

"No. That's not possible. Is it?" Nadine asked Romulus.

"I. I don't know."

"What? What's going on?" I asked. I froze in the spot on the ground.

Raven had returned with a dusted book.

"I think I found-."

She saw the sight of me, sitting on my rear by the illuminating crystals. The book dropped out of her hand. Her hands cupped around her mouth, letting out a gasp.

"Sorry, I was just looking. I swear." I pushed myself off the ground. They stared at me.

"Erin. I don't think you're just a werewolf. It looks like you're a witch too."