Protection

Since my parents think I am being a good kid, and studying with a friend, I had no one to drive me to Peter's party. So, I walked. I walked over a mile to his house. When I arrived, there were people everywhere! This is my second time at a party. The first one was when I was really little. It was also really crappy. This one though, there were people in the hot tub, and people dancing everywhere! They all had red solo cups in their hands. Drinking? Never tried that before. "H-Hey!" Nate came up behind me. " I looked at him and smiled. All the other guys came over. They seemed like they were dizzy, because Devon almost fell into the hot tub. "Have a drink, why don't you?" Tyler pulled my arm. I pushed him off. "Ever have a drink before, Miles?" I shook my head. Peter handed me a cup. "It's Scotch." I smiled at the moving beer. "Is it good?" Nate started to laugh. "You tell me!" I started to sip. I felt alive for once.

"Haha!" I laughed and patted Nate on the back. Devon just fell into the pool. "What time is it, Peter?" He checked his phone. "Almost 9. Why?" My eyes widened. Everything was blurry. "Shit! I have to go!" I grabbed my coat. "Where you going Hollingsworth?" A couple a guys shouted at me. "My dad is going to kill me!" I started to talk to myself. "Bye!" I ran out the door.

I started to walk. And walk some more. What is he going to say when he sees me? I didn't even tell my family I was going out. I'm going to get grounded for a year. I spotted my house. I heard my dad screaming. I quickly hid behind a bush. "Where the hell is he!?" I heard a cough. "Maybe he's hanging out with some friends, dad." That was definitely Hunter's voice. "Why wouldn't he tell us though?" My mom asked. "I don't know. He's been acting different lately." My dad snorted. "Kids, go to bed. Right away please." I heard footsteps going up. I heard a loud bang. My dad kicked something. "Calm down, honey." My mom tried to sooth him down. It didn't work obviously. Because he just screamed some more. I sighed. I have to come clean. Just not right now.

I snuck in at 12:25. "Going somewhere Miles?" It was dad. "Hi..." He got up from his chair. "Where were you?" Escaping maybe? "Just hanging out with some friends." More than some, to be honest. "Why didn't you tell anyone you were going out?" I backed away. "I thought you wouldn't mind." He looked at me like there was a huge spider on my face. "Are you serious, Miles? What kind of question is that? What if something happened to you?" I shook my head and spoke the truth. "You don't care. Why would you care?" He scrunched his face up. "I'm sorry I hit you. It was just a really bad day, and all the pressure from the campaign work-" I bit my lip. "You're lying. I'm not a freaking dumbass. And how would I know that? Oh yeah. Because I'm a mistake, remember?" He stayed quiet. I stayed quiet. "Where would you get that crazy idea?!" I rolled my eyes and smirked. "You think nobody can hear you when you are yelling at the top of your lungs?" I headed up stairs. "Just leave me out of everything you do. I can't stand it any longer." I continued up. I contained some of my rage. I have to. For my life. For Frankie, Hunter, and mom. But definitely not for him. Never for him.