The News

Katie and I were heading to school. I had my big cello on my back with my backpack. "Are you still sad?" I nodded, "A little." I was lying. He hurt me a lot last night. Dallas tapped me on the shoulder. "Hey, have you seen Cam?" I shook my head. "He actually dumped me last night." He looked surprised. "Sorry. If I see him I'll tell him to come to you so you can work it out. Dallas headed off inside with a bunch of hockey geeks trailing behind him. She glanced around. She saw the French teacher directing everybody inside. "What the hell is going on?" Sirens were rolling around the school. I walked up to my French teacher. "Hey, can I go in the music room and practice for my audition?" She looked deep into my eyes with questionable sorrow. "Maya, you need to go and see Principal Simpson. Right away. Katie you should go too." Katie and I exchanged glances, & headed inside.

"Have a seat girls." Mr. Simpson introduced us to a Guidance lady. I was so confused. What was this about? "I'm very sorry I have to be the one to tell you this Maya, Campbell Saunders is dead. The room went silent. Cam couldn't be dead. How could he have died. Did someone shoot him or something? "Oh my god. Oh my god." Katie kept saying.

I tried to comprehend what just happened in front of me. "It appears he committed suicide sometime overnight. A student found him this morning."

I didn't believe him. I shook my head. "No, no there is a mistake. I just saw Cam the other night, he was obviously fine." Mr. Simpson just shook his head. "If you girls want to go home, you have permission." The guidance girl said. "I'm not leaving Maya's side." Katie took a hold of my hand. "Do you want to go home? I'll wait on you hand and foot." I had no tears in my eyes. "Can I go and practice for my cello audition instead?" Everyone looked confused and worried. I tried to ignore them all.

"Uh, are you sure Maya?" Katie tried to look at me straight in the eyes but I just looked at Mr. Simpson in plead. I nodded. Cam made his choice. A stupid one. The words echoed in my head. "Campbell Saunders is dead." I let go of the thought and got up. I left Katie, and headed to the music room.