Alex (JATP)//Drummer Boy

Being dead has its advantages. I can do literally anything without getting in trouble.

I was in the band with the boys in 1995, I told them those street dogs would be a bad idea, but wherever Alex went, I went. Luke died first, then Alex, then Reggie, then me.

When we went to the small dark room, and I saw Alex crying, I sat in his lap and hugged him as tight as I could. I had always loved Alex, always. I was jealous when him and Luke dated but they broke up and now we're all just friends and band mates.

When we got sucked back to the real world, I landed on Alex, and quickly got up when I heard a scream.

Then we met Julie. She didn't like us at first but she came around. We started playing together and made our own band. We have a gig tonight at the school, I'm excited.

The Hollywood Ghost Club was so cool, Alex's new friend Willie got us an invite.

It was the coolest place ever!

"Hey Alex, can you pass me a slice of pizza?" I asked politely. He shoved a hamburger in his mouth before handing me my pizza.

I smiled and looked him up and down before looking away. Even with a mouth full of hamburger I can't help but be in love with him.

Luke and Reggie definitely noticed too. It was hard not to, I will admit I made it obvious.

Alex and I danced together and had so much fun, until we realized the time.

"Holy shit, guys we have to go!" I held Alex's hand and we tried running out, only to be stopped by Caleb.

He gave us a stamp so we could come back and we flashed to the school.

It was empty, we were too late.

Alex, still holding my hand, nodded over to Julie.

Luke walked up first.

"Can we talk after this?" Alex asked.

"Uh, yeah. Yes." I nodded.

After a minute or so, we all went over to her.

"Julie, we are genuinely so sorry. We completely lost track of time."

"Tell me it had nothing to do with getting back at Bobby."

"I can't tell you that-"

"It didn't." Luke and I spoke at the same time.

"Don't lie to her, that's worse."

"Yeah. It is." Julie spoke. "Friends don't lie to each other. This was a mistake."

I felt a physical pain in my heart.

"Julie, please, this band is-"

"This band is over." She walked away.

I hate that even as a ghost I get panic attacks.

I flashed to the studio and sat against the wall trying to control my breathing.

Alex flashed in and came right over to me.

"Hey, breathe, it's okay, we'll figure this out. Just breathe in, and out."

"Alex, I can't- this band is all we have, we can't lose it. What if she kicks us out? Where are we gonna go?"

"Hey, listen to me, look at me." His hands cupped my face and his thumbs rubbed against my cheeks.

I looked at him and it did calm me down some. I closed my eyes and held his wrists, rubbing my thumbs against his hands.

"Perfect, see? Everything is okay."

"What did you want to talk about?" I opened my eyes.

"It's not important anymore. It would only cause more stress."

"Are you okay? Did something happen-"

"I'm okay, everyone is okay, I promise." He hugged me.

"Ooh, are we interrupting?" Luke asked.

"Yes." Alex answered, letting go of me and looking at the boys.

"Oh, well we have bigger problems. Julie quit the band! Or have you guys forgotten already?"

"We haven't forgotten, but clearly it's stressing y/n out, so maybe us three can talk about it later alone?"

Luke rolled his eyes and sighed "Alex, go talk to Julie. You're the sensitive one."

"I am not!"

"You kind of are, but in a good way." I spoke up and let go of his hand, which I didn't know I was even holding. "I'll be okay. You're our best chance."

He gave me a small smile and went to Julie's house.

"What just happened between you and Alex?" Luke questioned me happily.

"He talked me down from a panic attack, he held me. It was the sweetest."

"How did he hold you?"

I walked over to Reggie and held his face like Alex held mine.

"Oh man, not again." He gulped.

"Reggie, don't go getting a crush on me now." I winked with a laugh.

"Alex totally has a thing for you."

"Do you really think so? He's been acting so much sweeter to me lately. Maybe it's just him coping with being dead? Or maybe I'm just the only choice now..."

"You aren't the only choice, there are plenty of dead options to choose from, like willie. He's Alex's type."

"Why would you tell me that, now I'm going to be jealous of willie."

"Oops."

Over the next few weeks, Alex and I got more comfortable with each other. We started holding hands, and cuddling, but we didn't define the relationship.

"I noticed you and Alex almost kissed at the end of Great." Julie smiled at me as we talked in her room.

"Yeah, I think we almost did. But I felt weird in front of all those people. I know they can't see me but still."

"I understand. Kind of." We laughed.

"I've been in love with him for over 25 years. That's insane. I never thought we would be this close to a relationship."

"Why don't you ask him to be your boyfriend?"

"What if that isn't what he wants? He would've asked by now if he wanted a real relationship."

"You know he's scared of change."

"Yeah, I guess."

After our talk, I went to the studio.

"Alex, I want to be your partner." I blurted out. "That came out wrong. I mean, I do, but I meant to say: will you be my boyfriend? Officially."

He smiled. "Yeah! Yes!" He stood up and walked over to me, picking me up and hugging me. I saw his eyes flicker to my lips and I smiled and nodded slightly.

Our lips touched and it felt so fucking magical. I've been waiting for this moment since I was 15.

"I love you, Alex."

His eyes widened slightly.

"I'm not-"

"It's okay, you don't have to say it yet. Do you want me to hold off on saying it again until you're ready?"

"Please." He nodded.

"Okay, I really like you."

"I really like you too, y/n."

"My little drummer boy." I smiled.

"My little rhythm guitarist." He kissed my forehead before pulling me into a hug.