Anthony Bridgerton//Worthy

When I woke up this morning I did not think I would be courted by nightfall.

"Mama, any suitors so far?" I asked.

"None yet darling but we mustn't fret. Everything will work out."

"Of course," I smiled. "I am going to go meet Daphne and her family out on the fields. Will you be joining me?"

"No, not today dear. I have lots to do in preparation for tomorrow's ball."

"Okay, I will see you at dinner time."

She nodded and I left in my carriage.

When I arrived at the fields, I immediately saw Daphne and Simon talking. Anthony looked majorly upset.

I walked over to him with a smile.

"Mr.Bridgerton, how lovely to see you again."

He took his eyes off them and placed them on me.

"Miss y/l/n." He nodded at me politely.

"Daphne told me that you like to ride your horse often. Perhaps one day we could ride together." I suggested.

"I'm not looking for a bride so respectfully, you can try someone else."

"Respectfully, viscount, you sound like an ass right now." I smiled in a fake manner and turned walking away, going to the garden.

"That's the last time I try being nice." I sat down on a bench and laid across it, watching the clouds move slowly.

"You shouldn't be in here alone." I heard Anthony speak to me.

"Well I'm not alone now am I?"

"You know very well what I mean."

"And you think it's safe for me to possibly be seen in here alone with you?"

"Better me than some of the other men in this town."

"Maybe that is true. Apparently I'm not the best when judging character." I smirked and stood up.

"I apologize for being an ass. It's just my best friend and my sister-"

"I know. If you would've taken the time to talk to me, you'd know I'm the one who set them up." I smiled.

"So you're the one responsible for this monstrosity!" He got angry.

"I sure am. You can thank me for it after they get married."

"The duke will not get married. The man refuses."

"Love will change him. I know it."

"Love changes nothing. I don't expect you to understand."

"Why? Because I'm a woman?"

"Because you've never been in love. You have such high expectations."

"Well you're wrong. I have been in love. Nothing ever came of it though. He had too much on his mind. Probably still does. I just wish I was one of this things."

"You just have to show him what he's missing. I'm sure there are plenty of eligible men courting you?"

My silence told him all he needed to know.

"Seriously? Not a single one of these men?"

"They're all going after your sister and marina." I shrugged.

"Well, as my formal apology, I, Anthony Bridgerton will court you until another suitor comes along that you like."

"Are you sure? That would mean you have to dance with me at all of the events."

"I'm sure. Once they all see us together they'll get jealous and want what they can't have. It's how men work."

After weeks of pretending, I had unsurprisingly fallen for the viscount. The way we dance together is explosive and the way he looks when he's focused on work is exquisite.

He lets me sit in his office with him sometimes. I read books as he works.

"How did it go with Lord Worthington?" He asked.

"It didn't work out. His nose is far too large."

"His nose? Sometimes I think you reject all these men so our agreement lasts."

I looked up at him, setting my book down.

"Even if that were the reason. Why are you even in this agreement anyway? You get absolutely nothing from it."

"I felt sorry for you."

My lips slightly parted in shock. "That's why you're doing this, because you feel sorry for me?"

"W-well at first yes. After our first dance though I just wanted to be around you."

"I am going to go for a walk and get some air." I stood up and walked out of his house and around the woods behind it.

I sat on a rock and thought.

Finding out he only did this because he felt sorry for me and not because he actually wanted to help me, borderline broke my heart.

"How insolent can you be?" I began talking to myself. "To think that Anthony Bridgerton, the viscount, would fall in love with me as easily as I did him. Foolish. Men fall in love with what they see. That's why nobody loves you. You're unpleasant to look at. You have plain brown hair and plain brown eyes and you're just fucking plain!" I shouted before hysterically breaking out into tears.

After about an hour I returned to Anthony's study where he was not found. I walked throughout the house to try to find him.

I heard him in the living room talking to his sister Eloise.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"Deadly. I want it to be special for her though."

I stopped snooping and ran back to his office, sitting in my chair with my book.

Once he returned, he kneeled down in front of me, making my eyes widen.

"These past few weeks have been splendid with you around. And I'm aware this started off in the wrong way and I wish I could have given you something real from the start, but y/n y/l/n would you be my wife to be?"

I started crying. "I'm not worthy of being your wife, Ant. You deserve so much more. You deserve a Diamond, I'm silver at best."

"You're being ridiculous. Marry me, y/n."

I nodded my head. "I love you." I said with tears in my eyes.

"I love you too, m'lady."

"Do we have to wait until we get married to do the fun stuff or do you want to 'defile me' as your mother would put it."

"I can wait if that's what you wish to choose."

"I wish you'd rip off my clothes and bang me against your desk." I whispered.

"Yes ma'am."