21. Questions with no answers and a planetary visit.

"How very well deserved of me! Invader Zim reporting, Sirs!" Claimed my friend, currently saluting  at a monitor and wearing a bear suit.

Why he was wearing a bear suit was unknown to me, as I pretty much only just got here.

He appeared to be on a call with someone from his home planet. I wouldnt lie, I was very intrigued by other irkens. What were they like?

Jerks! That's what!!

"Yes... Greetings, Zim! Keeping busy, it looks like; doing us proud" claimed a contrastingly tall irken, dressed in red armour.

The tone in which he spoke made me frown. It sounded purposely condescending and very much made me feel uncomfortable. I decided not to speak, knowing better than to interrupt Zims call. He had no idea I was even down here, right now.

"Thank you, thank you. Yes, yes I am. I'm in a bear suit!" Zim pushed the conversation forward eagerly, presenting himself to the screen. Cheering was heard from the line, making me smile a little.

I could only assume it was the many fans and admirers Zim claimed to have. I guess he wasnt lying about being one of the best.

At least, that's what I thought at the time.

Zim interrupted the crowd. "Please, enough!" He turned back to finish his report. "Following Invader Protocol, I've sent probes out to the surrounding planets to check them for potential use."

The same tall irken from before only gave a short hum. It didnt seem very glad or positive at all. It was like he was concerned or questioning what Zim had said.

I just tilted my head at the response. Why did he respond like that?

"Scans from a planet named "Mars" are intriguing. You can expect a full report when I have more information." Told the invader proudly. Now that I thought about it, I had never seen Zim act like this before.

He was so formal, so dignified. It was like he was someone else entirely. His leaders really brought out a side to Zim that nothing else could. He was so compliant with them.

Despite the way he talked about how "mighty" his leaders were, I had assumed Zim to be a bit of a rule breaker. But no. The irken I saw had an unbreakable devotion to his leaders.

I could only grow to admire my friend even more, knowing this.

It was then I realised his devotion and loyalty remained unrequited.

Clearly trying (and failing) not to laugh, the purple leader had spoken up"Thank you... Invader Zim! Without your efforts out there, the entire operation would... surely crumble!" He claimed, no longer able to contain the hysterical laughter.

They were making a joke out of him. They weren't praising him. Just publicly making a big, awful joke out of him.

It clearly went unnoticed by Zim as he continued to agree with them "yes, yes it would".

After a while of getting to know him and being his friend, it was easy to understand why.

Zim was not an emotionally experienced irken, which may be why those leaders felt so free to make fun of him. He couldnt process peoples responses easily and was still trying to understand certain phrases, jokes and language patterns. Its difficult for him. But his leaders seem to take advantage of that and make jokes right to his face.

I watched with a glare as Zim remained oblivious to the burst of laughter.

I wouldve said something to them. But it probably would be something else for them to make fun of him for.
Usually I would let Zim handle a situation himself. He feels stronger when doing so. But he isnt able to process this kind of offence, which is why he's defenceless to it.