44.5. The conversation

My anxiety had reached its peak. When someone says "we need to talk" it's never anything good.

My mind immediately went to the worst case scenario. What if he wants to break up? I couldn't control that horrible thought from overwhelming me and immediately my senses were alerted.

Zim had taken my hands and, in doing so, managed to grab my attention with ease. Though I was scared of what he might say, I also knew that Zim was stubborn. He would do everything he could to make sure we were still strong together.

Despite that, It was hard not to feel concerned.

"Talk about what exactly?..." I trailed off, wanting this done and over with.

The irken sighed, standing from his seat and turning to face me. He gently took both of my hands and pulled me up, looking directly into my eyes.

Though the look he gave me was filled with adoration and love, the frown on his face was regretful and unsure. This just increased my anxiety further.

"Y/n, you and I have been through so much together and they've been the greatest moments of my entire life. I want to keep sharing these memories with you. I want to keep being with you." He smiled a little, squeezing my hands.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear anymore. But I stayed quiet, squeezing his hands in return.

He continued.

"But this is getting very dangerous. The armada know of our relationship...of you. And...I don't want them to hurt you. I can't afford to take risks so..."

I clenched my eyes shut, prepared for a horrible end to our story....

It was fun while it lasted and I don't regret a moment of it. But I wish it could've continued forever more....

"I wanted to ask if you'd come with me!" Finished the irken, catching me completely off gaurd.

I opened my eyes in surprise, and relief upon realising that he was not ending things.

But now I was also deeply confused.

"Come with you? What do you mean?" I questioned, puzzlement overtaking my features whilst watching Zim take a breath.

He seemed a little unsure now, almost discouraged to continue.

"Y/n...I am a fugitive to the empire now. Just because I survived the trial doesn't mean they won't try to get rid of me in other ways. I can't stay on Earth anymore." He explained, dragging me over to a chair and pushing me to sit on it.

He placed himself on my lap as he explained further, leaning into me and taking my hand in his own.

"You will also be recognised, considering your relationship with me and that puts you in danger so I can't allow you to stay on Earth where you'll become a potential target..."

I suddenly realised where he was going with this. I allowed him to tug on my hand out of anxiety, watching him as he placed a light peck over my knuckles and held it close to his chest.

His head was now buried into my shoulder and his free hand was slowly making it's way over my waist to pull me closer.

"We need to disappear..." I concluded, earning a quick nod from my boyfriend.

"It'll be a difficult change but..I'll be with you every step of the way." He responds confidently, now convinced that my answer was absolute.

I continued to hold him tight to my chest, taking it all in.

"Of course, we'll have a few goodbyes to offer, right?" He spoke, seemingly concenred about my previous relations on Earth.

"Yeah... Lori, Dib, Gaz...they'll all want to know where we've disappeared to. And I think it's about time we came clean to Lori about you being an alien..."

Zim nodded at this, sighing briefly before pausing to look up at my face.

His eyes told me he was seemingly ready for this and he was prepared for what was left to come.

"Yeah... it's hard to believe how long it's been since out first meeting." He confessed, becoming rather sentimental as he turned his face from me to watch the stars outside.

I laughed, also turning my attention to the view ahead.

"Yeah, to think you would used to gag at the mere thought of me being this close to you" I teased, squeezing him to my chest and watching his face turn bright blue when he struggled in my grasp.

He released panicked chirps of embarrassment as I snuggled close and wrapped all of my limbs around him, preventing all methods of escape.

The irken only grumbled under his breath whilst hiding his, now blue, face in my arm and eventually giving up on leaving the cuddle cage I had created.

"I love you, Zim" I spoke, kissing near the base of his antennae.

.....

....

...

"I love you too, Y/n"